Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Passenger

Default cruising with kids...sea sickness cures????????

Hello,

We are leaving in July for the bahamas...traveling with a 13 yr. old and 9 yr. old. What kind of ginger should I get? Am planing to get wrist bands, should I also get Bonine? When should they take it? Want to make sure I have all bases covered...nothing worse than a sick kid!
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Admiral

whoa there! you are overdoing it. Choose ONE remedy and one remedy only. Do not mix remedies.
Point to ponder: do you or your kids get motion sickness when they fly or ride in the car? If not then chances are you will need Nothing on your cruise. The ships have wonderful stabalizers, they ride very smooth, and kids are pretty tough.
If you or your kids get the mild queezies when you fly or ride then choose either the Wristband, Bonine or Ginger.
I have had great success with using Ginger. I will sip on a glass of ginger-ale at sail away and at dinner the first night - just make sure that your soda contains real ginger and not just flavor. Kids love gingersnap type cookies, its a snack and a preventative at the same time.
I do pack the Bonine just in case, only as a back-up. IF you decide to use the Bonine, take it at home before you cruise to see what if any side-effects it might have.
Old June 9th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I've had good luck with the Bonine. If the kids start to feel quesy I have them take one and get out on deck in the fresh air. Having some crackers will also help. Luckily, we really haven't had a problem with seasickness for the kids. Just once or twice when it was really rough.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to chicagoskates95

Hi! I'm 13 and am about to embark on my 5th cruise over spring break. Personally, I have never had problems with sea sickness, and neither has my 12 year old brother. The only time we had an issue was when we were OFF the cruise ship to take a very small motorboat across a body of water in Cozumel. They gave us swabs of alchohol to sniff, but I of course didn't sniff it, because it kills brian cells. Instead, I rubbed it on my arms and was fine. I've heard of some people taking ginger pills a few weeks before the cruise. If your kids aren't big on taking pills, if they keep themselves occupied (which is never impossible to do on a cruise), they will most likely be fine. Also ginger ale and carbonated beverages always help me. I sometimes take dramamine too.
Good Luck and Happy Cruising!
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Admiral

You can also buy candied ginger, which might be better for getting the ginger into the kids.
But, you can combine ginger with bonine. Just check with their doctor beforehand, as dosages may be different than for adults.
Marty