Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 20th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Beginner

Default My Advice for Sea Sickness...

Hey guys,

I just recently signed up to this forum... but I've been lurking here for quite a long time.

I have read a lot of different questions about fear of sea sickness on cruises.. other peoples experiences, etc. Here is my own experience and advice:

I have taken two Bermuda cruises (via NCL) and have loved them. However, I have a weak stomach.. and nothing terrifies me more than a cruise with huge waves and no place to run away to.. when all you can think of is throwing up!

The first cruise I went on was a little rough. I brought along prescribed sea sickness patches (the ones that go behind your ear), and it actually made me worse. It made me feel even more sick! The medical center said that for some people it does increase sickness. So if you are taking these pills/patches, and it isnt helping, I would reccomend removing them. If they help you, great!

I wasn't used to it... but If you have people and friends to occupy you.. I guarentee it will make all of the difference. Being 18 at the time, I met a few people and it was such a great thing for me. If I had been alone or stuck with my parents, I would have had to concenrate on my nausea. Believe me, thats not fun. So keeping yourself very active, not thinking about it, and hydrating yourself is key!

However, my second experience honestly wasn't that easy...I also learned a lot of MORE tips.

The second cruise was when there were EXTREMELY high waves. The crew, the passengers, everyone was constantly throwing up with a bag in their hand. This rarely happens (from my experience), but the weather was extremely shakey.. and the waves were dangerously high.
I tried to remain active.. I kept hydrated... I even tried patches... but I was getting very sick and it was supposed to be my vacation!

So I went right to the medical center. They gave me a shot for sea sickness -- that wasn't exactly cheap, but it made me feel GREAT within a few hours. It made you tired for a bit, but you felt rejuvinated, and you no longer wanted to throw yourself overboard from your weak stomach.

So there you have it folks.

For newcomers -- I would reccomend:

A) Bring friends! Meet people! This will take your weak stomach off your mind.. you may actually forget about it during the days you are at sea. Once you are docked.... its smooth sailing.

B) Stay hydrated! Drink lots of liquid and make sure you get something in that stomach of yours. Sitting up on the deck should help too. If you are sick and you stay in your cabin.. it will make it worse.

C)Don't be afraid to go to the medical center. If you dont want to spend the money for the miraculous shot, they can help you out in other ways. They are all very friendly.

D) Remember that it wont be like that all of the time! Docking at your location is smooth sailing... and just because it was rough one way, doesnt mean it will be the same on the way back

I had a great time... even if my stomach did play a few tricks with me!

(link to commercial site removed by board moderator)
Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2006, 10:01 AM
Admiral

you are so right! I have known people who never get any kind of motion sickness when they fly or drive nothing, but they had convinced themselves that the mintue they set foot upon that ship they were going to get sick. They took all kinds of medication for no reason at all.
That shot works wonders for severe motion sickness when all else fails.
Old June 21st, 2006, 11:46 AM
Beginner

Oh definitely If you have the sick mindset, it will be a loooooong vacation. haha.

The shot worked wonders, and if someone is genuinely not feeling well and just cant shake it, it's worth the money!

(link to commercial site removed by board moderator)
Old September 20th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Passenger

Default shots

Just how expensive is this shot? Several people has alluded to them being very expensive, but I would like a ball park figure of what you are talking about.

How much did *you* pay for that shot?