Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2006, 11:18 AM
Passenger

Default Experience with Bonine?

For those of you who have used Bonine, I have a couple of questions. When did you take it - morning, afternoon or evening? Did you try just 1/2 pill first and then take a whole one if you needed it? And can you have a couple of drinks with dinner when you are using Bonine - a glass or two of wine or a cocktail? Thank you.

We are going to try taking them on land, before we go, but I wanted to know what kind of experiences you have had with it. My son became seasick on our last cruise and we don't want to go through that again, so we are thinking of taking Bonine every day, in order to prevent it.

Also, we are doing helicopter and sea plane excursions in Alaska (which scare me to death) and I thought maybe they would calm my stomach a little on those trips, too.
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2006, 12:17 PM
Admiral

I use Bonine when I travel. I've found that even if I buy the non-drowsy formula, I still get sleepy. Therefore, I take it just before bed. I take 1/2 pill and that works for me. I'm sorry, but I cannot answer your question about the cocktails. Maybe ask the pharmasist at your local drug store.
PS, on my last cruise, I didn't take the pills at all and was just fine.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old July 13th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Passenger

Bonine works great. Take it from me -- I need motion sickness meds to watch Titanic on TV, ride a merry-go-round, ride in the backseat of a car, flying, etc. I've used the patch; it worked great on a cruise but I had severe post-removal symptoms (seasickness on land). Ugh. The dr prescribed Meclizine which is the same thing as Bonine to get over it.

We just returned from the Freedom of the Seas. It was awesome. I began taking Bonine the day before we boarded. We flew in, so I needed to take it anyway for flying. I was drowsy that evening, but as soon as I boarded the ship the next day I never felt any differently. I did fall asleep quickly at night, but was that from the sheer exhaustion of walking that massive ship several times a day, being out in the sun, havaing a few drinks, staying up late, etc.? Probably.

Because I have an extremely sensitive inner ear (the need for motion sickness meds), I took one tablet in the morning with breakfast and another right before bed. I probably over did it, but we had really rough seas one night and I'm glad I did. I heard about 1/2 the ship was ill that night, but I wasn't.

My teenagers took one pill a day. They didn't know if they would need it or not, but took it as a precaution. They're glad they did when we had those rough seas that one night.

Depending on the age of your son, I'd give him one tablet a day and if he seems too sleepy cut it back to 1/2.
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I do not have a problem with motion sickness but I have used Meclizine and it knocks me out worse than Valium. This does not happen to most people but it can be a side effect, even though it is supposed to be less drowsy.

Bonine/Meclizine and Dramamine are both antihistamines and can make you drowsy.

I suggest that you try a dose of the medication "before" you get on the ship and see how it effects you. It's better to know before you go than have it ruin your vacation.

If there is a drowsy effect then take it in the evening before bed time.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 14th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Admiral

I don't have much of a problem with motion sickness, but if it gets really rough, I mean lots of motion and the barf bags are out and the dining room is half empty. I will take a half Bonine every 8 hours or so. that works great for me. Every individual is different. Unless you have a severe motion sickness problem, I certainly wouldn't load up on it too much because it will make you drowsy if you do.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old July 14th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Admiral

I totally agree with you Richstacy. Why medicate yourself if you don't need to?? Unless you are prone to severe motion sickness in your regular lifestyle, use the Bonine as a back-up plan. The ships are very, very stable, and most of the time if you feel that "funny" feeling coming on, just get yourself outside into the fresh air, do something physical - just go for a walk and eat some starchy carbs(rolls, bread, crackers etc - this is an old sailors remedy). If that "feeling" is more severe than just being a bit queezy, then by all means take the Bonine. If it gets really bad, get yourself to the infirmary, the doctor will give you the "magic shot" this stuff works wonders, its a bit costly but soo worth it.
On a cruise lots of times sea-sickness is mistaken for overindulgance in food and drink.
Old July 27th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Passenger

HI CAN U TELL ME WERE YOU GET BONAMINE FROM AS WE ARE GOING ON A CRUISE IN JAN 07, THE SEA PRINCESS OUR FIRST CRUISE ANY TIPS S OUR SON IS GETTING MARRIED AT SEA THANK YOU X
Old July 27th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Admiral

shirlz - you can purchase Bonine over the counter at your local pharmacy.
Old July 27th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Admiral

I think you are in the UK where Bonine is known as Bonamine. I am pretty sure it is over the counter and non-prescription there as it is here in the states. Just ask you Pharmacist, druggist, chemist type person about it.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old January 19th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Passenger

CAN YOU TELL ME THE COST OFF BONINE PLEASE.
Old January 19th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Admiral

It is over the counter, no prescription needed. I can't remember the price but it is very low, just a few dollars/pounds for 12 tablets.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old May 6th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Beginner

At Walmart, I paid under $10.00 for 12 tablets.

I got the "less drowsy" formula and they were chewable and Rasberry flavored.

I didn't care for the flavor of them however, and quickly downed a glass of water to get rid of the taste in my mouth.

BUT THEY DO WORK!!!
Old January 5th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Beginner

Most of the cruise lines will give meds free. We were on Royal's Enchantment last week. The first thing I did when I got on was go to the Purser's desk and ask for seasick pills. I was given a packet of 5 pills with directions to take one a day. I took one just before we sailed and took one every day around 5:00 pm. It was Bonine and I had no problems with having a drink or two each day.
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Passenger

LisaK,

I dont think you've ever been truly seasick. You cannot mistaken it for overeating. Seasickness is like every single hangover you've ever had in your whole entire life wrapped up all at one time! You feel like you'd rather die than to be in so much misery!! It's awful!
Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:09 AM
Familiar Face

Boy can I relate to that. Last year we went on a boat (not a ship) in Hawaii to go snorkeling. The water was very rough and I was feeling I wanted to die for most of the 6 hours we were out. I will take something for our upcoming cruise. I am wondering if you have to get the shot from the doctor is this covered by Insurance?
Old February 22nd, 2009, 08:24 AM
Familiar Face

I think that dramamine works the best. you can swallow it instead of chew it like bonine. they are both sold over the counter for under $10. the bonine makes me very sleepy, and i cant get past the taste of chewing it. so if you do take it, make sure you have a full glass of water with you and take it at bedtime. i prefer dramamine.

~Carnival Inspiration May 2009~
~Carnival Imagination Sept 2007~
Old February 22nd, 2009, 12:57 PM
Admiral

We all have different body chemistries and react differently. Dramamine knocks me out, where as bonine just makes me a tad thirsty. To anyone who is cruising for the first time, I would suggest, trying both beforehand. You won't know about the seasick part, but you will have some idea of side effects for you.
Marty