CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Health at Sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/)
-   -   Norovirus safety for Children? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/319236-norovirus-safety-children.html)

mango_tree August 16th, 2006 10:16 PM

Norovirus safety for Children?

My wife and I are taking my son who will be 18 months on our first cruise this November. After hearing about all of the norovirus flu-like sicknesses that seem to frequent cruise ships, I was wondering how safe it will be for my baby. As adults, my wife and I can probably get through a few days of stomach-flu like symptoms...but I worry if my son catches it with him being so young.

Anyone have any stories or tips? I'm assuming everyone just disinfects the heck out of their kids hands?

vawterf August 16th, 2006 10:20 PM

Best thing is to not take young children into danger

mango_tree August 17th, 2006 10:19 PM

vawterf,

wow. what the heck do you mean by that?

anyone else have some more useful, constructive advice?

CruiserEK September 10th, 2006 04:44 PM

Disinfecting is one of the best ways to prevent you from contracting the norovirus. Measures include using hand sanitizers and washing your hands completely(includes under the nails) with warm water and soap for at least 30 seconds to a minute. Also a good way to prevent yourself from contracting the norovirus (in the event of an outbreak or just for peace of mind)would be to avoid the least amount of physical contact with door handles, elevator buttons, railings, buffet utensils, and person-to-person. Bring a pack of tissues along with you if you'd like to use it to grab handles, etc..Don't let worrying about the norovirus ruin your cruise. Most likely, you will not encounter this problem. I have never been on a cruise that had a norovirus outbreak. However, I was on the Carnival Fascination one month before the ship had a norovirus outbreak. Out of my 11 cruises in the span of seven years taking place in different months, I was sick only on one cruise due to sun poisoning. :D

Fern September 10th, 2006 09:13 PM

Hi mango tree,

Welcome to Cruisemates!

As CruiserEK said, keep your and your sweet baby's hands clean. Use hand sanitizers and wash your (and baby's) hands with soap often.

If there is an outbreak of norovirus you'll know, because you won't be able to serve yourselves in the buffet and there won't be salt and pepper shakers on the tables.

The norovirus is really not as "rampant" as you might think from reading posts. It's what (more year's ago than I'd like to remember!) was called the 24 hour stomach flu. If baby has uncontrolled vomiting or diarrhea (very unlikely), see the ship's doctor.

IMHO, I wouldn't worry too much about it! Have a wonderful cruise!

mrksem454 May 17th, 2010 06:54 AM

Noroviruses can happen at any time during the year. Currently, medications are not usually used to treat Noroviruses. Children who infected with a Norovirus usually get better on their own within a few days. Antibiotics should not be taken for Norovirus. Antibiotics only work to fight bacteria and not viruses.

johnthed0g May 17th, 2010 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vawterf (Post 816099)
Best thing is to not take young children into danger

I think this means if you are that worried don't go.
BUT although norovirus is a reality it's nowhere near as common as you may think.