Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 27th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Passenger

Default Travel Jabs - help!!

Hi everyone just looking for some advice.

I'm booked for some injections & also a course of Malaria Tablets.

yellow Fever
Hep A
Tetanus.

I've heard that they make you feel really unwell.

anyone had any experience in this I'm very worried now I'm already a bit of a needle phobic so not looking forward to it.

thanks in advance.

Linz
Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:17 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Linz:

This is something you should discuss with your doctor and other professionals.

These immunizations are standard, especially HEP A and Tetanus. HEP A is given as a series of two injections that are spaced a few months apart. You should follow up with the second. The Tetanus is something you will probably have a mild reaction to and develop some soreness and swelling at the injection site.

The Yellow Fever vaccine has been given for many years and is a standard requirement for obtaining a visa to many countries but there can be side effects. Those side effects need to be discussed with your physician and also your prior medical history needs to be reviewed for any contraindications. (potential adverse effects)

In all of these cases the chances of adverse effects are very low.

My philosophy, with the pain aspect, of all shots for travel is that: I've hurt myself a lot worse when I've stubbed my toe and I didn't get a trip out of the deal.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 6th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Passenger

That's great thanks.

I'm really excited about cruising it's my first time & also I'll not be a passenger I'll be working with Princess so I'm sure the pain will soon be forgot about!

Bye.
Old July 9th, 2009, 12:16 PM
First Mate

Default Taking Shots

Linz----Mike has given you great advice. We have just gone through the shots and tablets and no ill effect. EXCEPT--I'm 75 and went to the health clinic and the nurse ask me where I wanted the shot and I told her the left arm. She weighed much more than me and she replied, "Sonny boy drop those pants--this one is not going in the arm". I complied.