CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Health at Sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/)
-   -   seasick AFTER the cruise? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/324472-seasick-after-cruise.html)

deccruise December 10th, 2006 10:15 AM

seasick AFTER the cruise?

has anyone experienced continued seasickness after they got home from a cruise? i feel it is actually WORSE than on the boat. the room is always rocking and i feel a little dizzy and lightheaded. it's really WEIRD!!! i did some research online and found that it is quite common. what are some remedies from those of you who have expereinced this and when will it go away? i'm assuming in about a week at most? thanks!

Donna December 10th, 2006 03:56 PM

It is quite common for that to happen, should only last a few days. You can take something to settle your stomach.

Hope you get your land legs back soon.

estreetbandfan523 December 10th, 2006 06:12 PM

yea i have gotten it too, it is weird since i am fine on the ship, and i have had rough seas 2 of my 3 cruises and been fine, but when i get home it hits me hard, normally just lasts for about 4 hours i have found,

skymaster December 10th, 2006 07:50 PM

I never get sick, but do sometimes have "sea legs" a few hours after leaving the ship. Don't worry about it,,,,shouldn't last very long.

Ken

Dave the Wave December 10th, 2006 09:27 PM

The only know remedy that really works is to book another cruise... :idea:

beenie weenie December 10th, 2006 10:00 PM

Yeah I get it every time. You can try the motion sickness remedies or any sort of an antihistamine like Claritin to try and get your inner ear to adjust to being on land again, or just give it some time and it will get better.
I think its the worst when you have to bend down to pick something up and its like instant vertigo.

This too shall pass.

Fern December 11th, 2006 08:40 PM

The good news about this is that people who have the "after cruise motion" rarely have any problem with the motion on the ship!

You can take Bonine for a few days after you get off the ship, or, as beenie weenie said, just give it some time. I've found that the only time I notice the "movement" is in uncarpeted areas at home (the bathroom & the kitchen).

I think DTW's advice is the best: "book another cruise"!

seadog2 December 11th, 2006 11:17 PM

I've read that seasickness can last up to 72 hrs. after you return. It happened to DH once. I don't get air or sea sick. Bonine or anti-vert will help. Try eating some dried ginger to help soothe the stomach.

RCscoop December 12th, 2006 08:50 AM

Deccruise: I experience this weird feeling every time I return from a cruise. It is directly related to how much motion we felt on the ship. I notice it most when showering or bending over to pick something up anywhere else. I suppose it has to do with the inner ear readjusting to solid land.

It goes away in about a week. I think it's the cruise industry's way of getting us to book another cruise :wink: Usually works for me :!:

Steve

deccruise December 13th, 2006 08:47 PM

what the heck? i posted this on the RC message board and noticed that they took it off. i couldn't understand it and now a few days later i stumbled upon my missing thread on this message board. i wish i had read this board before i got on the cruise! after the cruise at the airport, we were like "why is the airport rocking?" why would they build an airport on water? haha! we were very disoriented!

RCscoop December 13th, 2006 09:15 PM

It was moved to the proper forum as it related to a basic health at sea issue, and not specific to RCI. That way more people can benefit from the replies.

I hope on your next cruise, you don't feel the effects for so long. You may want to consult with your physician for other treatments. Good luck!

Regards, Steve

capgirl December 16th, 2006 09:58 PM

I am wondering if wearing the wrist bands for a few days after you get off the
cruise would help with motion sickness?

deccruise December 18th, 2006 10:41 PM

thanks everyone, it went away in exactly 2 days. however, i think this is the last cruise for us for the rest of this lifetime. it was an interesting experience and the seasickness on the boat actually was lessened a lot because of the pills, but this after-effect was so much worse than anything on the boat. i think i'll just stick with disneyworld next time - haha!

useranna May 10th, 2012 12:20 AM

Just returned from NCL Pride Of America. After cruise sickness hit with a vengeance. Put on bands and helped immensely. Took them off 3 days later and nausea returned. Put them back on and feeling better. I think i'll keep them on till a week passes! So yes, they helped.

KellyKayden May 11th, 2012 09:30 AM

I didn't have actual sickness while at sea, but a couple days I was crazy dizzy! Other weird thing is I had no appetite the entire time at sea. After returning ome, I still felt like I was rocking for a whole week, and still ad no appetite for seriously a month. Best...diet....ever. lol

lisacan May 18th, 2012 05:54 AM

Its pretty normal to have motion sickness after the cruise ride. For me it lasts max about a day.