CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Health at Sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/)
-   -   Packing vitamins (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/325893-packing-vitamins.html)

Artistammy January 11th, 2007 09:11 AM

Packing vitamins

For the airlines & customs do you need to have vitamins in original containers like prescriptions? I'd rather be able to pack them in a pill box if it will work.
Thanks,
Tammy

Fern January 11th, 2007 09:35 PM

Hi Tammy,

Welcome to Cruisemates!

Pack your vitamins in the pill box and put it in your checked luggage. I've not heard of anyone stopped because of "loose" pills in a pill box, but it could happen!

AF1 March 12th, 2007 06:11 PM

Vitamins

I travel for a living and pack my vitamins in a seven day pill case. Have never been questioned yet. :D

Mike M March 12th, 2007 07:04 PM

Unless you are taking a LARGE number of vitamins per day then packing them in a seven day container will be just fine.

I also suggest that you put them in your carry on rather than your checked baggage. It is possible that your baggage could be lost and your vitamins with them. You "could" take the labels off the bottles and put them in your carry on in the, unlikely, event there is a question.

I have cruised around fifteen times since 9/11/01 and have never had a problem with any medication that has been in a seven day pill container. These have all been prescription medications. However I do take the prescription labels with me for all prescription medications.

The only thing that has ever been questioned were injectable medications.

Take care,
Mike

billbelt July 9th, 2009 11:57 AM

Vitiamins

Mike has provided the same advice we use and we have never had a problem.

rollerdonna May 20th, 2010 08:19 AM

I take prescription meds as well as vitamins and have always used a weekly pill container and never had any problems.
Mike is right though, always carry prescription meds in your carry-on luggage in case your other luggage gets lost.
I also carry the labels of prescription meds just in case. They came in handy once when the Dr. onboard needed to know what to treat me with when I had an attack of Arrythmia!

donna

Lakers Fan May 20th, 2010 11:00 AM

I take prescription medicine + vitamins ,more than 20 per day .I pack mine in a 30 day plastic box specifically designed for this and in my packed luggage .My only problem is that I normally take a liquid vitamin once a day and when I travel I don't take it

CRUISER DIVA June 19th, 2010 04:56 PM

Meds and Vitamins

We have been on more than 50 cruises. We pack all our meds in pill containers (month's size). I have the pharmacy print out a Rx list and put the copy with the pills. We have ne er had any problems. My husband does his meds in small plastic bags (Walmart craft center area). Again just a pharmacy print out.

Securityman June 20th, 2010 06:51 PM

TSA and Insulin

the only problem I ever have is that the TSA agents have no set rule on Insulin cooling. Never a problem leaving Chicago but when leaving LasVegas or Dallas they tell me its packed wrong ; ask them how to pack it they can not give me an anwser

SigLO June 20th, 2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artistammy (Post 872173)
For the airlines & customs do you need to have vitamins in original containers like prescriptions? I'd rather be able to pack them in a pill box if it will work.
Thanks,
Tammy

Hi Tammy! I've flown and cruised and gone through customs with many supplements. I usually hang on to the smallest empty original bottles to use for travel. Some things, I've just used an empty RX bottle and put a tape label with contents written. Have never had any problems. I usually pack them in large clear zip type bags so anyone can see labels easily. This is just me--but I think if all were in only hand labeled containers, you might run into some questions.
This is merely a suggestion, but if you had them all in a daily use container-----------well I think I'd want to bring some original labels along.

I know I don't either want to be delayed on my trip, nor do I want to dispose of them.

Hope this has been of some help. Sig

robh July 5th, 2010 03:13 PM

Depends on the Country

All good advice but if you can travel with the original labels for Vitamins especially clear gel type like Fish Oil then all the better.
Some countries like Dubai and even Australia have some very interesting rules as to the drug content itself especially for over the counter items from Western countries.
Most countries have no issues with tourists traveling through with a supply under three months and of course if you are cruising the supply is in your cabin.
So,we are really talking about airport security, immigration checkpoints.

For prescriptions meds get your pharmacist to print out labels .

As a Canadian I can get weird reaction out of the Homeland Security folks if I travel with items that look like or smell like vs. a valid labeled container.

babymathew July 10th, 2010 01:54 AM

I do agree with you that it's better to travel with the original label, but not all the countries have issues in this regard. So better idea is to first check out the countries in which this type of problem is there and then we can carry vitamins and food accordingly.

kevinandrew September 19th, 2011 08:02 AM

I like to drinks fruits juice at home or when i am on the beach. I consumed maximum used 2 glass in the day of juice. When i am doing traveling on that time i take 1 liter juice along with.

janice201149 November 4th, 2011 01:56 AM

Vitamins and other pills are allowed in your carry-on luggage. The vitamins need to go through the X-ray machine at security. An alternative option is to allow the screeners to inspect your vitamins and other medications. To avoid any problems, carry your vitamins in the original packaging so the screeners are able to see what it is.

Tip:
Pack your vitamins separately from other items that might leak during travel, such as hairspray, cleanser or other liquid toiletries. For longer vacations, consider buying a small container of your over-the-counter vitamins once you arrive at your destination. This eliminates the risks present during air or car travel. If the vitamins are affected by hot, humid conditions at your destination, you won't lose your regular, large bottle of vitamins.

joshuaty2010 November 4th, 2011 10:05 AM

It safer for you to bring you pill with the original package.

ganeshagro March 17th, 2012 08:40 AM

All good advice but if you can travel with the original labels for Vitamins especially clear gel type like Fish Oil then all the better.
Some countries like Dubai and even Australia have some very interesting rules as to the drug content itself especially for over the counter items from Western countries.

lisacan May 18th, 2012 06:18 AM

I suggest you to have original prescription label with yourself in case you are asked about it. I have never been asked for medicines at least in last few years.

lorsin October 30th, 2012 01:01 AM

perscriptions and vitamins

Hi, her in Australia, to travel with your perscription drugs when leaving the country, get your Doctor to give you a note of explanation, what drugs and why, will get my doctor to add vitamin "B" complex to my list, the only one I bother with, although more for our Aussie summers as it wards of the insect bites that I am very suseptable to! then I take them in my carry on, or actually, departing Australia, in my hand with doctors letter, they go through x ray with my handbag.

Alan brad August 29th, 2013 07:36 AM

I take lots of vitamins and supplements. Can I package them in little plastic bags and take them in my carry-on or should I check them?