Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Passenger

Default Packing vitamins

For the airlines & customs do you need to have vitamins in original containers like prescriptions? I'd rather be able to pack them in a pill box if it will work.
Thanks,
Tammy
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Admiral

Hi Tammy,

Welcome to Cruisemates!

Pack your vitamins in the pill box and put it in your checked luggage. I've not heard of anyone stopped because of "loose" pills in a pill box, but it could happen!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 12th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1
Default Vitamins

I travel for a living and pack my vitamins in a seven day pill case. Have never been questioned yet.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Unless you are taking a LARGE number of vitamins per day then packing them in a seven day container will be just fine.

I also suggest that you put them in your carry on rather than your checked baggage. It is possible that your baggage could be lost and your vitamins with them. You "could" take the labels off the bottles and put them in your carry on in the, unlikely, event there is a question.

I have cruised around fifteen times since 9/11/01 and have never had a problem with any medication that has been in a seven day pill container. These have all been prescription medications. However I do take the prescription labels with me for all prescription medications.

The only thing that has ever been questioned were injectable medications.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 9th, 2009, 11:57 AM
First Mate

Default Vitiamins

Mike has provided the same advice we use and we have never had a problem.
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Admiral

I take prescription meds as well as vitamins and have always used a weekly pill container and never had any problems.
Mike is right though, always carry prescription meds in your carry-on luggage in case your other luggage gets lost.
I also carry the labels of prescription meds just in case. They came in handy once when the Dr. onboard needed to know what to treat me with when I had an attack of Arrythmia!

donna
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Admiral

I take prescription medicine + vitamins ,more than 20 per day .I pack mine in a 30 day plastic box specifically designed for this and in my packed luggage .My only problem is that I normally take a liquid vitamin once a day and when I travel I don't take it
Old June 19th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Beginner

Cool Meds and Vitamins

We have been on more than 50 cruises. We pack all our meds in pill containers (month's size). I have the pharmacy print out a Rx list and put the copy with the pills. We have ne er had any problems. My husband does his meds in small plastic bags (Walmart craft center area). Again just a pharmacy print out.
Old June 20th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Familiar Face

Default TSA and Insulin

the only problem I ever have is that the TSA agents have no set rule on Insulin cooling. Never a problem leaving Chicago but when leaving LasVegas or Dallas they tell me its packed wrong ; ask them how to pack it they can not give me an anwser
Old June 20th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistammy View Post
For the airlines & customs do you need to have vitamins in original containers like prescriptions? I'd rather be able to pack them in a pill box if it will work.
Thanks,
Tammy
Hi Tammy! I've flown and cruised and gone through customs with many supplements. I usually hang on to the smallest empty original bottles to use for travel. Some things, I've just used an empty RX bottle and put a tape label with contents written. Have never had any problems. I usually pack them in large clear zip type bags so anyone can see labels easily. This is just me--but I think if all were in only hand labeled containers, you might run into some questions.
This is merely a suggestion, but if you had them all in a daily use container-----------well I think I'd want to bring some original labels along.

I know I don't either want to be delayed on my trip, nor do I want to dispose of them.

Hope this has been of some help. Sig
Old July 5th, 2010, 03:13 PM
First Mate

Default Depends on the Country

All good advice but if you can travel with the original labels for Vitamins especially clear gel type like Fish Oil then all the better.
Some countries like Dubai and even Australia have some very interesting rules as to the drug content itself especially for over the counter items from Western countries.
Most countries have no issues with tourists traveling through with a supply under three months and of course if you are cruising the supply is in your cabin.
So,we are really talking about airport security, immigration checkpoints.

For prescriptions meds get your pharmacist to print out labels .

As a Canadian I can get weird reaction out of the Homeland Security folks if I travel with items that look like or smell like vs. a valid labeled container.
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old July 10th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Beginner

I do agree with you that it's better to travel with the original label, but not all the countries have issues in this regard. So better idea is to first check out the countries in which this type of problem is there and then we can carry vitamins and food accordingly.
Old September 19th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I like to drinks fruits juice at home or when i am on the beach. I consumed maximum used 2 glass in the day of juice. When i am doing traveling on that time i take 1 liter juice along with.
Old November 4th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Vitamins and other pills are allowed in your carry-on luggage. The vitamins need to go through the X-ray machine at security. An alternative option is to allow the screeners to inspect your vitamins and other medications. To avoid any problems, carry your vitamins in the original packaging so the screeners are able to see what it is.

Tip:
Pack your vitamins separately from other items that might leak during travel, such as hairspray, cleanser or other liquid toiletries. For longer vacations, consider buying a small container of your over-the-counter vitamins once you arrive at your destination. This eliminates the risks present during air or car travel. If the vitamins are affected by hot, humid conditions at your destination, you won't lose your regular, large bottle of vitamins.
Old November 4th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Welcome Newcomer

It safer for you to bring you pill with the original package.
Old March 17th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Welcome Newcomer

All good advice but if you can travel with the original labels for Vitamins especially clear gel type like Fish Oil then all the better.
Some countries like Dubai and even Australia have some very interesting rules as to the drug content itself especially for over the counter items from Western countries.
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Skype™ to lisacan

I suggest you to have original prescription label with yourself in case you are asked about it. I have never been asked for medicines at least in last few years.
Old October 30th, 2012, 01:01 AM
Familiar Face

Wink perscriptions and vitamins

Hi, her in Australia, to travel with your perscription drugs when leaving the country, get your Doctor to give you a note of explanation, what drugs and why, will get my doctor to add vitamin "B" complex to my list, the only one I bother with, although more for our Aussie summers as it wards of the insect bites that I am very suseptable to! then I take them in my carry on, or actually, departing Australia, in my hand with doctors letter, they go through x ray with my handbag.
Old August 29th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I take lots of vitamins and supplements. Can I package them in little plastic bags and take them in my carry-on or should I check them?