CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Health at Sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/)
-   -   diabetics (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/333680-diabetics.html)

ankey May 23rd, 2007 08:19 PM

diabetics

any diabetics (I know there has to be at least a few...) especially Type 1's ever have trouble bringing and then using their blood glucose meter and/or insulin and needles on a cruise? care to share any experiences with me?

Cassandra June 13th, 2007 08:37 PM

I have a friend who is diabetic & has no problems bringing medicine, needles, etc.

Just make sure you bring some sort of paperwork showing you are a diabetic. The cruise line can also help you if you call them & explain your situation.

billbelt July 9th, 2009 11:59 AM

Mediations

I take oral medication and take my meter, strips, etc on abord and there has never been a problem. I always take them in carry on.

luv2cruisetoo January 3rd, 2010 12:51 AM

diabetics

I am a type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump. I have cruised on Carnival Conquest and have carried my supplies and meter in my carry-on tote with me and have had no problems. You can request a sharps container, but I usually take a small plastic container with me for all my sharps/disposables that I carry off the ship with me at the end of my cruise. I have a waterproof pouch that I purchased at Academy Sports to put my pump and meter in to protect them from water/sand.

colorcrazie January 3rd, 2010 03:10 PM

If you have a letter from your doc and let the cruise line know in advance, I don't think you will have any problems. But, if you have to fly to the port, that might be a different story, especially because of the most recent terrorist attempt on a plane. You might need to check your supplies for the flight, if that is feasible for you.
Good luck.
Marty

worshiper July 15th, 2010 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billbelt (Post 1232480)
I take oral medication and take my meter, strips, etc on abord and there has never been a problem. I always take them in carry on.

I agree with this.Well at such time oral medication helps a lot.You may keep some basic medicines for the disease with you.

PapaBear July 16th, 2010 08:41 PM

Diabetics

I am a Type 2 diabetic, for last 21 years. I always take my meds, meter, test strips and needles in my carryon. Ihave made 33 trips across Atlantic, and 3 trips across Pacific.
Also 5 cruises.
I carry a letter from my doctor, a wallet card listing my meds, and a Medi-Alert charm around my neck.
I have never had any problem crossing borders (Israel-Egypt)(Israel-Jordan)(china-Mongolia)(Mongolia-Russia)(Mexico)(Costa Rica)

Never have had a problem. Problem is usually finding a fridge to put meds that need to be kept cold. Used medical office on NCL Norway, minibars elsewhere, small fridge on desk on NCL, and the bar fridge on a Danube cruise. I also carry a small plastic sharps box about 6-inches long.

When flying, I use a small special pack with pockets for freeze packs.

Just think ahead, and make sure you have everything you need.

PapaBear

Greece-1998
Norway-2002
Summit-2006
NCL Crown-2007
Danube-2008
Turkey bus trip-2009
NCL Majesty-2009

hamrinton July 26th, 2010 03:00 AM

Hey, You need to follow the following step while you are traveling in the cruise

Things that you should bring with you:

* Bring your doctor's name and phone number and keep it with you at all times.
* Bring a list of current medicines and keep it with you at all times.
* Always carry and wear medical identification that states that you have diabetes.
* Keep medicines, syringes, and blood sugar testing supplies in your carry-on luggage.
* Take enough medicines and medical supplies to last an extra week in case you get stranded or stay longer than you planned.
* Have a traveling companion carry some of your medical supplies, if possible.
* Always carry some type of sugar source in case you develop hypoglycemia.
* Inform the airlines, cruise ships, and tour guides in advance that you have diabetes.
* Test your blood sugar more often than usual.

I hope this will help you a lot while travelling.

nigaas August 25th, 2010 03:39 PM

Hello,
Yes my father also have the diabetes problem. so he have to take some injections and tablets with him and also have to care of so many things so that his diabetes be in control.

thanks!!

Securityman August 25th, 2010 09:35 PM

You will not have a problem with the cruise line ;but watch out for the wonderful TSA they have different rules at each airport

aneshiya October 1st, 2010 11:03 AM

My mother is a diabetic but she had no problems while travelling.She takes oral medication and she also takes a medical certificate from her doctor.

goldengrain February 18th, 2014 02:36 PM

My husband has recently been diagnosed with Type II diabetes. There are a number of doctors who consider that the American Diabetes Assoc. recommended dietary rules are too lenient and do not optimize life span as the preferred diet would.

My husband is on a diet which consists of no sugar, fruit, juice, carrots, peas, beans, cereals, potatoes, tomatoes, rice, pasta, - and probably more that I cannot remember. He is allowed two slices of sprouted grain bread or dense whole wheat daily. He has no problems with fats or with salt in his diet, however.

Our concern is whether cruise lines will make special meals to accommodate his needs and, if so, which are the best at doing so?

There are differences in diabetics and in the ways in which the medical profession treats them. Some Type I's and II's will have a much greater variety in foods and will just up their amount of insulin or drugs to compensate. Others approach the situation through changing the elements of the diet which are triggers for the problem - which means limiting sugars and carbs. Our doctors seem to think this is the best way.

storybookcruises.com February 18th, 2014 07:13 PM

I, too, am Type 2 diabetic. Luckily, at least so far, I'm able to control it with diet and medication, so I do not have to take insulin shots.

I do take my meter with me along with the accompanying lances and have never had any problems either going through airports or on cruises. Our cabin stewards have always been happy to provide me with a 'sharps' disposal without any problems.

And because there are so many cruisers with diabetes, as well as other dietary and medical problems such as gluten-free and vegan, the cruise lines have made foods available to pretty much handle any requirements. When you look at what the average restaurant offers, the cruise lines do a very good job of meeting the needs of their passengers given all the varying demands.

Pete