Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 15th, 2007, 01:07 PM
First Mate

Default Brazil - Immunization - Yellow Fever

We will be travelling up the Amazon late this fall and were advised that we both had to have immunization shots to protect us from Yellow Fever. The health authorities decided that, I, the older of the two of us, should not get the shot and issued me an exemption.

Has anyone been faced with this situation and what difficulty, if any, will I encounter due to this exemption? Of more importance, however, is the question of health and the fact that I will not be protected from the Yellow Fever. How prevalant is this disease among the travelling public visiting the Amazon and Brazilian ports of call?
Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2009, 12:54 PM
First Mate

Default Shots

All immunizations in our area must be obtained at the County Health department ( a branch of the county government). We have been there twice as our doctor does not provide this servcie. Each time we were told that travel to Brazil required us to have the yellow fever shot. We complied and there was no ill effect. We did have to sign forms about our health and other medications we were taking. Is it possible that you could get a second opinion as we are led to believe one should not travel in certain parts of Brazil without the shots. An exception or exemption certainly does not provide health protection. If you physical body cannot stand the shot that is another issue, however you should confer with a doctor and not a person like me on the internet.