Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Beginner

Default Is a cruise suitable for someone who suffers with vertigo?

I am booking my honeymoon for next year and my fiancee suffers from mild to moderate vertigo. He has never been on a cruise so does not know if he would be able to go. He gets dizzy and ill in the car for too long, around the shops (scanning everything), on planes when there is a change in direction and when looking at a computer screen (only certain software that is detailed and fiddley) for too long. Does anyone know if vertigo gets worse or a problem on a cruise?

We would like to do a taster of one or two days in between now and then but cannot find a suitable one on a suitable date! Typical!

Please help!
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidaymonster
I am booking my honeymoon for next year and my fiancee suffers from mild to moderate vertigo. He has never been on a cruise so does not know if he would be able to go. He gets dizzy and ill in the car for too long, around the shops (scanning everything), on planes when there is a change in direction and when looking at a computer screen (only certain software that is detailed and fiddley) for too long. Does anyone know if vertigo gets worse or a problem on a cruise?

We would like to do a taster of one or two days in between now and then but cannot find a suitable one on a suitable date! Typical!

Please help!
This is a hard one: I have a severe vertigo and balance problem. Eighth cranial nerve damage. I cruise a lot but I also take a strong, prescription medication to compensate for it. I am constantly dizzy and have other neurological problems.

The issues he will come up with is handling the movement of the ship. In my case it has become less of a problem. I prefer a greater movement than a slight movement. It's easier for my brain to handle greater movement than a slight one. The world constantly moves so I can tell when there is a major change than if there is a slight one. I can no longer handle a small fishing boat for more than an hour. I am lucky that I have had PT in order to learn coping skills so I can understand that my brain is often telling me things that aren't real. I do use a cane while I am on board ship and also on land when things are a bit shaky. It is more of an outrigger than for physical support.

I would STRONGLY recommend that he speak with his doctor and neurologist. If his condition is extremely severe he could have major problems or very little or there could be medication that could help but it is a question that only someone who is VERY familiar with his condition can really answer.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 29th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Beginner

Thank you, that is really helpful. He has it mildly (it only occurs when he does certain things), but a cruise could be one of those things that really affects him. He has tried one medication but it just makes him so tired that the effects of the medication are worse than the vertigo, so I think a trip back to the doctor is a good idea.

Thank you so much for replying
Rebecca