Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Beginner

Default How to minimize weight gain?

I'm leaving for my 6 cruise in a few months, going on the explorer of the seas. I'm really excited!

On my past cruises i've always gained about 6 or 7 pounds. Any tips or tricks on how to combat this.

I found a website made by a former crew member with some pretty good trips. www.skinnycruising.com

But please feel free to let me know your secrets.
Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Admiral

The best thing we found to eat normally and not over eat. We didn't diet but just ate sensibility and ate our normal diet . On our 22 day cruise we gained about 2 lbs on the ship and 6 lbs on shore in the restaurants.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old August 5th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Admiral

1. Diet before you go. Much easier than trying to diet after being spoiled on the cruise.
2. Build as much exercise as you can into your days. If possible, use stairs on the ship, and walk at a good pace. Lets you pack more fun in if you get to things faster!
3. Choose fish and veggies whenever you can at meals. Got my DH hooked on fish thanks to cruising.
4. Eat a protein loaded breakfast, very light lunch. Not good advice in general, but those cruise dinners are too good to miss, so I prefer to
"save up" for dinner. Skip late night buffets. Yes, even the chocolate one!
That's my approach, anyway, except for the stairs, which I can't do anymore. I have health and increasing weight issues.
Cut yourself some slack. It is a vacation!
Marty
Old November 3rd, 2008, 02:06 AM
Beginner

Just remember...you don't HAVE to eat EVERYTHING
Old November 3rd, 2008, 10:59 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Actually visit the fitness center. You don't have to be "hard body" to use a treadmill or elliptical. Fifteen or twenty minutes at 2.5 or 3 mph will do a world of good and the view is usually one of the best on the ship. Just make sure you don't have any medical issues that stop you from doing this.

Use the stairs when you can, even if it's just going "down".

Sit as far away from the buffet as you can. You'll be less likely to go back for seconds.

Scope out the buffet before you load up your plate, don't just dive in. Be selective.

If you REALLY want a second entrée see if someone will split it with you.

Also, remember: There is nothing wrong with not cleaning your plate. Your mom is not watching.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 1st, 2008, 12:33 AM
Beginner

The best advice I found while taking steroids (prednisone) was "don't eat whenever you're hungry, or you'll eat all the time."

Eating "very carefully" will help. Really -- what's often termed 'rabbit food.'

The weight will eventually come off, though. Exercise does help, but there aren't any specific ones.
Old January 1st, 2013, 05:09 PM
First Mate

There are mirrors all over these ships and what i did was look in the mirror before meals and ask myself..."Do you want cheesecake going directly to your thighs??"

Also, fill up on salad first..You wont be able to eat a lot afterward if you do this.

CarnivalTriumph
Old January 6th, 2013, 01:27 AM
Captain

Try everything, finish nothing.

Creme Brule yes, Ice cream yes, butter and rolls yes. It's about portion control.

5 weeks on ship, 2 weeks overseas shoreside and came home to found I lost 3 pounds

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Familiar Face

what has worked for me in the past:

1) eat a healthy breakfast most mornings: i allowed myself a couple of days to fill up on the greasy-spoon, brunch style type foods but most days stuck with poached/boiled eggs, multi-grain/whole wheat toasts, yogurt, fruit, oatmeal and the likes. the way i saw it, why waste calories from breakfast when i could indulge more when it counts - at dinner.

2) skipped desserts more than half of the time: i opted for no dessert or fresh fruit.

3) fish is always a healthy alternative: most nights, i chose their fish dish. but of course, indulged on a couple of nights. on nights i had fish, i didn't feel too guilty ordering both apps and salad/soup. rarely, though, would i order apps, soup AND salad. it was just 1 or 2 of those three courses.

5) exercise: i used the gym most mornings and some afternoons; also did a lot of walking especially after a meal. didn't go hard as i would when i'm at home as i it is a vacation - but it didn't hurt to do 45 min. lite cardio and 45 min. strength on alternating days. made sure to not work out 1 or 2 days, though, as to not over-do it.

6) shared on things i wanted to try but couldn't have too much of: princess has amazing pasta made fresh in the dining room every night; it was not a large serving so depending on our table size we would order 1 or 2 and share. everyone got a palm-size or less amount just to try out.

7) limit myself from buffets: at lunch, i would sometimes go to the main dining room to help moderate the quantity of what i ate. but of course, i indulged at the buffet on certain days.

that being said, my guilty pleasure is that grill station on princess - it's so easy to go there for a mid-afternoon burger and fries!

if i gain 5 lbs by the end of the week, i'm okay with that, though. i live a healthy life style and love p90x and yoga. 5lbs is not hard to lose. especially as i read somewhere that the average cruiser gains 2lbs a day while on a cruise.
Old October 4th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Different people use different techniques for losing weight. Some people take exercise for losing weight and some other pay attention on diet. Healthy diet plan is very important along with exercising so that you can lose weight and look attractive.
Old October 4th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Keep in mind that my metabolism is not the same as yours. what works for me may not work for you.

I generally come back at the same fat and bodyfat% or IMPROVED!

I drink a lot of water. I also always take stares. The only exception to that is if i'm my high heels and me feet are killing me - then I will take an elevator or two late at night. other than that, I do a lot of walking.

I pack a lot of exercise clothes but never make it to the gym : ) I always think the next cruise will be different.

I eat a lot on my cruises. I order two entrees and two desserts, and three appies; if I'm so inclined. I try to skip the fries and the potatoes and eat the proteins. I also eat what I like. If I order something that I don't like - I won't eat it for fear of being rude. If the server asks, I will explain that it wasn't to my liking. But if I enjoy it, I will eat it all. I find the portions are much smaller than they used to be so I can easily eat two entrees most nights.

Works for me.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old November 23rd, 2013, 05:39 AM
Captain

If I wanted to lose my 20 extra pounds, I would have done it beforehand. Eat, Drink and be Merry. I'm here to forget about my stresses, not re-live them!!
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Booked:Freedom OTS 10/14
Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15

Old November 24th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shampy View Post
Dubai massage center

Great post! i really enjoyed your post........i think it provide us a very useful and helpful information about weight gain......after my pregnancy i got a lots of weight and i am fed up with it ...........i always avoid the fry as well as the junk food but i have no benefit from it .......pls advice me how should i loose your weight.........in your next post...........thanks.........
My greatest trick is water before a meal. I don't know why it works, but it does. I eat what I want, but cook differently. I cut fat off the meat or poultry before I cook (or I'll eat it). Skin the chicken, that's where the fat is. If you insist on frying, go lightly and use olive oil (still calories but the healthy kind). Fried chicken a no no, I cook it in stewed tomatoes. If the junk food is left at the grocery store, that helps because my hands can't grab it. I've been known to eat a bag of cookies if I have it in my home. Eat meals till the hunger feeling disappears, do not eat to fill. Eat often and only small quantities so your body digests it, and there's no extra to store as fat. Just a few hints. Don't go on a special weight loss diet or you'll soon give up on it. Just alter your normal eating habits.
Old December 1st, 2013, 03:31 PM
Captain

Good information but Bill Clinton would argue that you should dump the fowl and meat and go with veggies. Of course you see how good he looks from his diet, but then again he is still alive after his heart attack. I wonder what Bush is eating after his near death episode. Veggies or steak?
Old December 12th, 2013, 03:47 AM
Captain

Want to lose weight?
Close your pie hole.