CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Health at Sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/)
-   -   Buying Medications.... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/358802-buying-medications.html)

Sink0rswim December 1st, 2008 12:35 AM

Buying Medications....

Im curious about buying medications from "pharmacies" like in Mexico. I know the prices are unbelievable cheap ( and no RX needed)!! I have a friend ask me to get them a certian medication, that is very expensive in the U.S. Are these medications safe? How about Customs?? Any help/advice needed and Thanks, s0s

billbelt July 9th, 2009 11:02 AM

Medications

I think you are on your own on this one. Some medicatiosn in Mexico are more than likely safe while others may be questionable. I have been to Mexico hundreds of time (living in Texas) and I just can't force myself to accept their medications or medical services. I know people that have and they are more than happy. About customs. This is a tricky question. If you had a prescription then no problem with a reasonable amount. If you are carrying a large amount without a prescription and you are searched you should expect delays and a lot of questions and you will more than likely lose the drugs. If the particular drug is on the list of prohibited drugs then you are in big trouble at the border. I would not try to hide anything because if the agents don't find the item the dogs will.

storybookcruises.com January 3rd, 2014 02:33 AM

We were once at a beach in San Carlos and my youngest son got a jellyfish across the face. He was screaming in pain as it stung him pretty good. We immediately put him in the car and headed to the nearest pharmacy. As we were on our way, I had my way look up the Spanish word for jellyfish in our Spanish/American dictionary we had. When I went running in the pharmacy with my son in tow, I pointed to his face and kept saying the Spanish word for jellyfish (can't remember what it was). The pharmacist immediately grabbed a tube of stuff, gave it to me, I put it on his face, and it immediately took away his pain.

When we got back to the U.S., I asked my doctor about his stuff and he said it was very good, but in the U.S. you can only get it with a prescription.

Needless to say, had I been in the U.S., it might have taken alot more time, alot more hassle, and alot more expense. But since we were in Mexico, we got immediate treatment for a cheap price.

We had the same type of situation occur with my wife when we were in Cancun. She developed a nasty sinus problem and after consulting with the local pharmacist, we got the necessary drugs to take care of the problem immediately. Had we been in the U.S., she would have had to make an appointment with the doctor, gotten a prescription, and then done a visit to the pharmacy for an overpriced drug.

The same thing is true when visiting Canada.

Just because you're in a different country, does not necessarily mean you'll get second class medicine or treatment. Sometimes, it's better than what we get in the U.S.A.

Pete

anusarma February 10th, 2014 10:31 AM

Medications from Mexico are likely to be as good a quality as you get in the States. However, when it comes to bringing certain medications back to America you must be careful. If you are bringing medications that are termed “controlled substances” in the US or Mexico and you don’t have a prescription you could get into trouble. Read more here Buying Prescription Drugs in Mexico | U.S. Consulate General Tijuana, Mexico but I would say be wary, especially if you are getting medication for someone else – you’ll get into trouble, not them!