CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Health at Sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/)
-   -   Holiday Insurance: Air Ambulance- Corfu Greece to UK (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/376325-holiday-insurance-air-ambulance-corfu-greece-uk.html)

robh August 22nd, 2010 12:17 AM

Holiday Insurance: Air Ambulance- Corfu Greece to UK

Got this sad story off the UK boards for a couple on their honeymoon who did not buy Insurance as they thought their European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC) covered them.
Carrie Dudbridge fractured her spine in three places and her husband had to find 16,000 GBP (about $25,000 US) for an Air Ambulance from Corfu Greece back to the UK.

Holiday Insurance - Cruises.co.uk - SHOWTHREAD
My thoughts to the story,
I really think anybody selling Travel plans to people take that precious minute to offer Travel Insurance and explain why it is important as to where they are going.

Even in Canada though I might be covered and treated in different provinces for Hospital treatment my costs for non medical services including Air Ambulance or even regular Ambulance is not covered when I'm outside my domicile.
Thus it is wise to purchase medical travel insurance even if I drive across Canada.

I hope the young lady's spine and health recovers and the couple are able to pay the woman from the Island back. A nice gesture to those in need but the financial part could have been avoided.

All the best

Phil&Liz June 12th, 2011 04:05 PM

As fars as US coverage it varies widely by the insurance carrier. My LTD coverage carrier offers emergency travel medical insurance coverage ( Emergency travel assistance or Free Grant Resources and Financial Funding Options From AssistanceAmerica.com )

Pay close attention to the contract details of any travel insurance before you buy it. Note that many have a 2 week window in which you may purchase it and get pre existing conditions coverage.

Have a look at Travel Insurance - InsureMyTrip.com .

nlb1050 June 12th, 2011 07:54 PM

turning the tide. I have used insure my trip to purchase ins for our cruises. They will show many company/plans, make sure you are comparing the same type of coverage. And make sure to include any air that may be part of the crusie.

I always buy the best medical and med air coverage that I can as I know that our insurance will not pay for it out of country. The cost is so worth it if needed and if not the cost is not so much that you would miss the money.

Trip June 12th, 2011 08:29 PM

I wish all travel agents and pvp's would discuss insurance information, to their clients. Over the years, in the beginning, no one mentioned this to us. Our agent now, sends it out in our package once booked.

New cruisers, may get the info, but, unless the agents to take the time, to really make the clients understand what it covers, especially the medi vac portion, many might dismiss it.

The piece of mind the small cost gives you, is priceless

Kuki June 12th, 2011 09:37 PM

I do believe the majority of travel agents will ask their clients if they want to purchase travel insurance.

I also believe that MOST customers tune out when they hear "purchase". For the strangest of reasons people decide they can "save money" by skipping on the travel insurance.

Kuki June 12th, 2011 09:45 PM

I also note that the honeymooner fell from the balcony of a hotel.

People don't just fall off balconies without doing something stupid...so obviously these people fall into that category on both counts... the action that lead to the accident, and not purchasing insurance.

"But I thought" people often ask for others to pay for their mistakes.

Sounds harsh, and I do feel bad for the young lady, BUT.......

Trip June 12th, 2011 09:48 PM

"For the strangest of reasons people decide they can "save money" by skipping on the travel insurance."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kuki, you hit the nail on the head...and by some posts we have seen, people say I am too young, nothing will happen..we want more drinks, more excursions, more shopping, or whatever, rather than insurance.

Just by the OP's link, we can see this is not the case. Youth has nothing to do will falling ill or having a major accident, onboard or in port.

Just do it;)

anniegb June 13th, 2011 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuki (Post 1375862)
I also note that the honeymooner fell from the balcony of a hotel.

People don't just fall off balconies without doing something stupid...so obviously these people fall into that category on both counts... the action that lead to the accident, and not purchasing insurance.

"But I thought" people often ask for others to pay for their mistakes.

Sounds harsh, and I do feel bad for the young lady, BUT.......

Sorry I have no sympathy for the young couple at all. I will keep my sympathy for more deserving cases. It is a hard lesson but no different to those who do not have buildings insurance and their house goes on fire.

They gambled and lost.

Annie

pen June 13th, 2011 04:34 AM

I'm glad this post came up. I had to pay well over the odds for my travel insurance due to pre existing conditions coverage. But we too have relied on the E111 many times in the past when we have gone to france on a day trip or a weekend away. I've never considered it a gamble as i would never even think about going to non european countries without full insurance

If we took ill in europe we would have expected the same free medical care as the UK give to Europeans. But then i never considered a major accident as I'm sure this young couple didn't either. A harsh lesson to learn and a wake up call to many brits who rely on it. Maybe it would be a good idea if the government done away with it altogether as it does give people a false sence of security

anniegb June 13th, 2011 05:22 AM

Sorry but when you apply for the EHIC it clearly states that you must expect to pay the same charges as locals and then reclaim when you return to UK. It is not and was never intended to be a ALL MEDICAL CHARGES FREE card. Even if it was who pays for the aircraft?.

Annie