CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Health at Sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/)
-   -   medical bag? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/health-sea/378373-medical-bag.html)

shanah November 28th, 2010 07:03 PM

medical bag?

Do any of you pack a little medical bag to take on the cruise that you put together yourselves? If so what should I pack? We leave on Jan. 15th on the Oasis for a 7 night eastern carribean cruise. We are nervous cause I just got out of hospital from a septic uti infection and hope nothing happens on the cruise as I am medically fragile and was on home infusion therapy after my hospital stay and then started a oral antibiotic this past friday and the dr. is going to put me on preventative antibiotic therapy while on cruise but I am trying to think of things that could happen so that I can bring things so I don't have to dr. onboard if something minor comes up. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thank you, Shana

Phil&Liz November 28th, 2010 07:50 PM

Do you have trip insurance?

Bring contact info for your doctor and brief medical records. Keep any meds in their original container.

Wash your hands frequently throughout the day.

Ask your doctor what you should bring along prescription wise for GI upset/diarrhea/norovirus.

Mike M November 28th, 2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanah (Post 1331135)
Do any of you pack a little medical bag to take on the cruise that you put together yourselves? If so what should I pack? We leave on Jan. 15th on the Oasis for a 7 night eastern Caribbean cruise. We are nervous cause I just got out of hospital from a septic uti infection and hope nothing happens on the cruise as I am medically fragile and was on home infusion therapy after my hospital stay and then started a oral antibiotic this past friday and the dr. is going to put me on preventative antibiotic therapy while on cruise but I am trying to think of things that could happen so that I can bring things so I don't have to dr. onboard if something minor comes up. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thank you, Shana

A first aid kit is always a good idea for travel. You never know when you will get blisters, cuts, scrapes or other minor injuries and a trip to the infirmary is $100 + just for to put a band-aid and anti-sceptic on a boo boo. Basic OTC medications for headache, diarrhea, cold or allergies are also a good idea.

In regard to what prescription medications you should take; that is a question only your doctor should answer.

Take care,
Mike

Lakers Fan November 28th, 2010 10:27 PM

We will have a small first aid kit .

Trip November 28th, 2010 10:32 PM

Look in your medicine cabinet and dupilcate it.For some, travel sizes will be abvailable....Several years ago, on our Crusiemates Century cruise, I got a real bad cold...In the ship shop, they wanted $9.00 I think, for the nose spray..In ports, it's also pricey....Sharon, one of our Cm'ers helped me out bigtime. Boy, was I greatful....

Nyquil/dayquil
Advil or the like
Nose spray.]
Mini first aid..I bought one in the dollar store
pepto bismal

LisaK December 8th, 2010 11:20 AM

basic items: bandaids, otc pain medication, tums/rolaids, antibiotic ointment, anti-itch cream, otc cold/allergy medication

Donna December 11th, 2010 01:13 PM

Be sure to add some hand santizer and use it, I always travel with some....Then the basic first aid kit is a good idea. Just be sure to keep all your prescriptions with you in a carry-on bag, the rest would be fine in your checked bags.

shanah December 12th, 2010 02:30 PM

I do have trip insurance and I will bring all my medical info. like dr. and such. Thank you. Shana

shanah December 12th, 2010 02:31 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions, I am going to pack my medical bag today. Thanks, Shana