Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 7th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Anyone have stories (good or bad) about ship's medical care?

Anyone have stories (good or bad) about ship's medical care?

I'd like to hear some reports from people who's had to use the medical center on a ship, and hear how it went.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Admiral

In 1973 we cruised on the Cunard Ambassador from New York to Bermuda . The seas were so rough that nearly every passenger and crew member became seasick . The relatively small medical area ,one doctor ,one nurse attended to every passenger .I was very impressed by their professionalism .
Old September 19th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Admiral

Several years ago, our primary care doctor took his wife on a cruise, partly after hearing us talk about ours. His wife had a severe, sudden allergic reaction to shrimp. He said that he took her down to the ship's doctor and insisted on staying by her side. He said that the ship doc did everything that he or any medical facility in the U.S. would do. He was very impressed by them. I don't remember what cruise line they were on.
Marty
Old September 19th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Captain

We were on either the Princess Sun or Sea 5 or 6 years back and DH developed a nasty respiratory infection. He went to the medical facility on the third day of the cruise and every day there after for the rest of the 10 days. The doctor and nurses could not have been more helpful or kinder. Kudos to Princess. We had insurance of course but I thought the bill was very reasonable and the patient was pretty well back to normal by the time we debarked.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old September 19th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Admiral

I had the 'flu on our Azura cruise last year, I suspect it was actually "swine flu" anyway they were wonderful, seen right away, antibiotics etc lovely clinic..mini hospital really... 80 not bad. Some refused treatment & a few died.."I'd rather die than pay for treatment'' (Brit thing) so they did, pneumonia mostly I think.
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
I had the 'flu on our Azura cruise last year, I suspect it was actually "swine flu" anyway they were wonderful, seen right away, antibiotics etc lovely clinic..mini hospital really... 80 not bad. Some refused treatment & a few died.."I'd rather die than pay for treatment'' (Brit thing) so they did, pneumonia mostly I think.
Swine flu was totally preventable if you took the flu jab - which you obviously didn't.

I know people who required medical treatment on the Az Journey - excellent and no bill.

Annie
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

So it appears that onboard medical charges are not significantly higher that on land? That's contrary to what I have heard over the years, so, that's good.

I know on Princess,and maybe some others, they have the ability via skype or the like, to speak to Drs. on land when serious illnesses happen onboard, which surely would make me more comfortable, if I were in need.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 19th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Admiral

High for us in the UK as we don't pay anything due to the National health service!! Mostly anyway, as long as you can wait.
Old November 20th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Smile

just come back from cruise on carnival's fascination.......hubby had a fainting spell......nurse was by his side within 2 mins.......was taken by wheelchair down to medical center.....doctor saw him right away......put him on heart monitor......was kept on it for 2 hrs (due to having heart trouble).......his bp was too low.....they took blood work......gave him meds to raise his bp.....& he went back down 4 hrs later.....had another ekg.....& saw doctor......all this only cost $375.....much cheaper then our er in usa. we do have travel insurance that will pay for this. I was really impressed with the ship's medical crew!!!!
Old November 21st, 2011, 12:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

On our Hawaii cruse on Princess, we went on an excursion and there was a nice older gentleman along with us who had fallen on board several days earlier and suffered a cut on his arm. Said the medical staff "charged him $135 to squirt some antibiotic on it put a bandaid on it". I know that the fee was more for the examination than the eventual treatment, but he was rather irked. By the time we saw him, the cut looked pretty bad (infected ) but he didn't want to go back and get charged more. We encouraged him to have it seen again, but shared some first aid supplies as well.
Old January 5th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Is travel insurance recommended for a Cruise? We are planning at least two different cruises over the next two years. We have been saving up money for retirement and the cruises are our celebration. We would like to have insurance for our trip that will cover health issues and medications.
Old January 5th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoat View Post
Is travel insurance recommended for a Cruise? We are planning at least two different cruises over the next two years. We have been saving up money for retirement and the cruises are our celebration. We would like to have insurance for our trip that will cover health issues and medications.
Travel insurance is not only recommended, I think it's ESSENTIAL. I woud however recommend purchasing the travel insurance from a third party insurer, NOT the cruise line's insurance.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 5th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Loveboat...go to insuremytrip.com and enter your key information, to get side by side comparisons of travel insurance plans. Make sure what you select for the medical includes medivac off a ship.. Within several of the major companies, they have different tiers of coverage...If you have any questions before you buy, give a rep a call.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator