Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Health at Sea
Register Forgot Password?

Health at Sea Questions on the treatment of sea sickness and other cruise-related health topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 5th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Familiar Face

Default Prescription Meds

This is my first time cruising and I want to know if Royal Caribbean has a certain policy on how prescription medications are carried on board. I have a three month supply of blood pressure medication, but I don't want to carry it all for fear of losing it (knowing me, I would). Can I carry it in a pill case or is proof of prescription needed on the original bottle?
Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Either way, it's your choice....I have brought it onboard in my carry-on both ways, you should have no issues. Meds should always be packed in your carry on.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 5th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

I pack on 5 different meds both RX and OTC. I just count out enough of all my pills (plus a day or so extra) and put them in a single small RX bottle. Has my doctor's number and pharmacy number on the label, if they want to make an issue of it. I've never once even been questioned or seen anyone else questioned about medicine. If you think about it, with the average age of cruisers, I'd bet 90% of the carry-ons are packing an assortment of RX meds.

Like Trip posted, don't check them. Keep them in your carry-on bag along with valuables and such.
Old February 8th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Captain

Question

::[QUOTE=Anderson Keith;1414189]Prescription Meds provide a best result so we will be active and smart for innovative all resources so be happy for best resources so we will be actives and smart for best growth so be conscious in all views What the heck
Old February 8th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Admiral

its not so much the cruise line that you could have issues with but the TSA (if you are flying). 99% of the time its not an issue. I use those weekly pill cases and have yet to have a problem, its such a small amount that it usually doesn't raise any red flags, now if you brought a full un-marked bottle of pills that might cause some problems.
Old February 8th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Administrator
Admiral

In 30 years of worldwide travel, including quite a bit since 9/11, I have never had a problem with my prescription medications. I put them in the "daily" pill containers and that's it. I do carry copies of the pharmacy receipts. I used to carry copies of the scripts but now, with electronic ordering of scripts by the physician and mail order fulfillment, this is no longer practical. The only thing I have ever been questioned about was the injectable medication I take with me. Otherwise no problem.

The cruise line doesn't care. The only possible issue would be with TSA. If you have a small amount of meds then bring them in the original bottle, otherwise do as I do.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 20th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Familiar Face

Do the cruise line doctors or medical staff have access to popular prescription medicines on the boat? Or is it easy to get prescription in Caribbean countries like the the Bahamas?
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
its not so much the cruise line that you could have issues with but the TSA (if you are flying). 99% of the time its not an issue. I use those weekly pill cases and have yet to have a problem, its such a small amount that it usually doesn't raise any red flags, now if you brought a full un-marked bottle of pills that might cause some problems.
I have flown to and from 29 airports all over America, so I have no reason to believe pills in a box with seven compartments should raise a red flag anywhere. Medications that a TSA agent would worry about are inhalers, insulin, and creams. I just take pills.

Looking forward to cruising!

Read and post cruise reviews

Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:45 AM
Captain

I believe that the screening at the airport is MUCH greater than it is for the ship. If you can get it through the TSA you should have NO problem getting it on board.