Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2000, 10:41 AM
Steven Conger

Default Maasdam -- Oct 29

Anyone going with HAL on Oct 29th?
This is my first cruise.
What should I expect with HAL's no tipping policy?
Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2000, 07:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default RE: Maasdam -- Oct 29

HAL's policy is as it states - no tipping "required" and they do mean it. You are not required to tip. However, tipping is allowed if someone did an outstanding job for you.

Tipping occurs at the end of the cruise, customary cruise ship tipping is usually about $3 per day p.p. But with HAL you can tip less and it is acceptable.

If you want, you can tip a little at the beginning of the cruise "to insure promptness" which is what TIP stands for!
Old September 14th, 2000, 11:43 PM
tomcarten

HAL's policy is as stated. I was never solicited by any crew member. I'm on the Maasdam Oct 20-27 to Halifax -- hope I don't see the Rembrandt (Rotterdam V) as my mother and I enjoyed many cruises aboard her. It would be distressing to see this Grand Old Dame tied up in bankruptcy.

Tom
Old September 20th, 2000, 08:09 PM
Essie

I was on the Maasdam in August. We took it out of Sweden and had a great time. It is a beautiful ship,very clean and a very friendly and hard working crew.The choc. mouse in the choc. tulip cup is reason enough to get back on board. Peary Grant was the piano player at the Piano Bar. He was great. He had the people packed in four and five rows deep every night. He won't be there in OCt. I don't think. He said he is going to be doing the around the World voyage on the Rotterdam. Peary is another reason to hop back on any ship he is on.
Old October 4th, 2000, 07:41 PM
Sherrie

As stated above, it's not a NO tipping policy, just an OPTIONAL one. I think it would be wrong not to tip people who work so hard to please me. If not familiar with amounts to give, any travel agency and even some brochures from other cruise lines will give suggestions for your cabin steward, dining room waiter (and assistant if applicable), over-all dining room steward IF he performed some duties, and any others who regularly and cheerfully assisted you. If you use one or more of the bars a lot during the cruise, it's thoughtful to tip the bartender(s). Many experienced cruisers fill (but don't seal) envelopes for each of these people BEFORE even boarding, and then at the end of the cruise they add or subtract according to the service given, before distributing them to the various people they want to recognize. These folks are not very highly paid and that tip money is very important to them and their families.