CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   Ryndam -Western Caribbean (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/214260-ryndam-western-caribbean.html)

Ashley September 2nd, 2000 04:38 PM

Ryndam -Western Caribbean

We're considering taking the Ryndam in Nov. for the Western Carib. itinerary. Our decision is based on good pricing. Has anyone sailed on the Ryndam in recent months? What were your experiences, positive and or negative? I've read on one web site that the Ryndam was refurbished in 1998 but that seems odd considering she started sailing in 1994. I this true?
Any info is appreciated.
Thanks, Ashley

Paul Motter September 3rd, 2000 01:14 AM

RE: Ryndam -Western Caribbean

All of those "dam" ships are very nice, and very similar. I'm referring to the sister ships of the Statendam class...

(the quads)
Statendan
Maasdam
Ryndam
Veendam

(the twins)
Volendam
Zaandam

(the other twins)
Rotterdam
Amsterdam

Holland America probably has the most consistent product from ship to ship of all the cruise lines - so much that it is actually pretty hard to tell one ship from the next. They are all very good, new condition, large generous cabins, good service, quiet refined atmosphere featuring classical music, cigar and cognac bars, first-run movie theaters and fantastic buffets. Not too many kids on board as a rule. All in all, a very good value for the money.

Check out our review here:
<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/shiptour/tours/HAL/Statendam.cfm>

pat September 3rd, 2000 11:38 AM

Hi!
I have been on the Ryndam 4 x's. It is my ALL-TIME favorite ship! It is beautiful & everything runs so smooth. The Crew is awesome! (of course, I have found this to be true on all H.A. ships) We are going to be on the Maasdam in Nov-Dec & are hoping that we will have as great of a time as we always have on the Ryndam....Pat

al cerrachio September 3rd, 2000 03:09 PM

We sailed the Ryndam last February and found her to be a great cruise. The itinerary is also pretty good, if the same as ours you skip Jamaica and add Key West, which is a fair trade in my book. Sevice is up to HAL standards and the food was consistantly good. I have a review posted her under the member review area. My only dislike is the decor, especially the Crows Nest, which is a little off the wall for me with neon, plastic tubes suspended from the ceiling representing icicles. Also the over size sculpture in the atrium seems out of place size wise. But these are minor things compared to the fine overall cruise the ship offers.

MIKE September 19th, 2000 09:02 PM

What is appropriate dress for the four "elegantly casual" evenings as called for in the HAL brochures for 7 night cruises? Are there theme nights...eg "western dress" "50/60's dress"? Sailing on Dec. 2 after being cancelled on Celebrity Milennium on Dec. 3. Thanks for info.

kathi September 27th, 2000 10:34 PM

Casually elegant means casual, but no jeans or shorts. Khaki's and sport shirts are ok, and slacks or casual skirts for woman. I think the Ryndam is going into drydock this month for some refurbishing, I'm sure she will be fine. She's a small intimate ship, and they take good care of her. I haven't been on her in three years, but she was a very nice ship then. Have a great time!

Ashley September 28th, 2000 03:55 AM

Thanks to all who replied to my question.
My husband & I almost booked a back to back Western & Eastern Carib. on the Celebrity Century.
On one of the other boards, a suggestion was made to perhaps try another cruise line and ship just for variety. The fact that Century would have the exact same menus and entertainment both weeks made us review our original choice.
As a result we have booked the Ryndam for the Western Carib. itinerary and will stay with the Century for the Eastern Carib. itinerary. We leave on Nov. 25th & Dec.2nd out of Fort Lauderdale. This is our way of celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary!
I'd also like to mention how much I enjoy the cruisemates message boards. I appreciate the friendly, informative and open minded atmosphere that is maintained.
Ashley