Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 6th, 2000, 05:33 PM
Admiral

Default outside cabin guarantee

We have just booked an outside guaranteed cabin on the Volendam for Oct. 23rd. We have always chosen our cabins before. Does anyone have any horror stories for this type of booking or any good experiences to share? Thanks. Sue
Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2000, 09:23 PM
Stevesan

Default RE: outside cabin guarantee

Look at the Volendam's ship profile. How bad could any outside be?
Old September 7th, 2000, 08:52 AM
Admiral

A guarantee is always a bit of a gamble. The likelihood of a good upgrade depends in no small way on the starting point... what category you paid for. The higher your starting point, the better the result. On a ship like the Volendam, as long as you are not concerned about specific cabin location (ie must be near an elevator) you probably will come out well. Let us know how you make out! Ernie
Old September 7th, 2000, 07:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

We booked an outside guarantee on the Volendam in June of this year on an Alaskan cruise. We had gone to Alaska the year before on the Statendam, and had a verandah, so when we got a great offer from HAL, we thought that no matter how bad our cabin was, we'd be fine, as we had experienced "the best" the year before, and just wanted to go back because 1) it was an awesome deal, and 2) Alaska is so vast, we thought we could go back year after year and still not see everything and 3) we got a great rate on a flight, so the whole trip was less than half what we paid the year before.
About 2 weeks or so before we left, we were notified that we had been given our cabin assignment. It was an outside cabin, three cabins from the back of the ship on the Main Deck. Although I wouldn't have chosen it as my first choice, it was not on the lowest deck and it was located near the elevators, etc, so we would be happy with it. Two or three days later, our travel agent called and said we had been upgraded to a cabin, also on Main deck but almost exactly midship. We couldn't have been happier, and we'll be watching those sales again this year. The Volendam is a beautiful ship, and according to my travel agent, the least expensive and the most expensive cabins go first, so you have a pretty good liklihood of getting a room that won't disappoint you. We were completely satisfied!
Old October 9th, 2000, 05:53 PM
First Mate

We did an "outside guarantee" on Celebrity/Zenith to Bermuda in June. It was an impulse buy because we had several cruises planned, but this "quickie" was for our 40th anniversary. In looking at the cabins on Zenith, we noticed that they were ALL virtually identical. placement was the ONLY difference. Or TA told us "And you COULD get lucky and get a minisuite ir suite" -We booked an "Outside, category 8" or the minimum amount for an outside cabin. What we were assigned was a category 6 -but it was 2 doors down from the category 8s [better placement?] and there was NO difference -all 172 square feet thru, as I remember -Category 3. I don't know why cruiselines play this game, if all the cabins are the same, why would there be up to $1000 difference??? Obstructed view is different, also SIZE is different [suite vs stateroom; 294 feet vs 172] but, give me a break -placement in the ship can't make THAT much difference. Pick what you will be happy with, and hope you get the Presidential Suite!!!!!;- Anne