Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2000, 09:59 PM
Robocop

Default Westerdam

We will be cruising the week of Oct 14th onboard the Westerdam and will provide a review upon our return. What I want to know is there anything anyone wishes for me to check out specifically?
Jim
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2000, 01:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default RE: Westerdam

I am looking for information on the fishing excursions. Posted message but no responses. If you happen to hear anyone talking about it, or any information you can get would be really appreciated. Thanks!
Old October 10th, 2000, 12:20 PM
Admiral

We (ages 53 & 56) have never cruised HAL and I am presently looking at their 8 night Caribbean itinerary for 2001. We ahve done 8 cruises: Celebrity, RCCL, Princess. We like to relax on a beach or tour ports, enjoy fine dining and shows, and meeting new friends. We prefer late seating so we have time to relax before running off to dinner, but are the shows held before dinner for the late seating? Other than trying something new and getting a good value for the trip, for what reasons should we consder HAL and the Westerdam?

Thanks for any input you may have for us.
Bon Voyage
Old October 10th, 2000, 12:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

We sailed the Westerdam last August (1999) in Alaska and the ship was lovely. Our only other cruise had been on Carnival and I much preferred HAL -- the ambiance was just a whole lot classier. (Did miss the little "pillow pets", tho -- !) There were plenty of families and kids of all ages, tho the crowd was a bit older on the whole than on CCL, but it certainly didn't feel like an "old person's cruise". Don't know what the general clientel on a Caribbean cruise would be, but there were a lot more Europeans on the Westerdam. Not sure if that's because it was HAL or Alaska... Our ages (52 & 53) and interests seem similar to yours, so you would probably enjoy HAL too. The Westerdam did have early shows for the late seating dining.

We enjoyed the Westerdam so much that we are booked for the Rotterdam for Dec.10th -- 61 days and counting!!!
Old October 12th, 2000, 04:41 PM
jimbragg

You got it new cruiser. I'll see if I can find any information. I don't recall any on the Eastern but never really looked before but will this time.
RoboCop
Old October 12th, 2000, 04:42 PM
RoboCop

I'll be posting a complete review upon my return that hopefull will answer these questions for you.
Jim
Old October 18th, 2000, 03:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks! Will look forward to any information you can bring!
Old October 24th, 2000, 09:24 PM
RoboCop

NewCruiser,
The only fishing deal we saw is the one offered at Half Moon Cay and that is in the lagoon called "Bonefish Lagoon". I have to assume that that is what you fish for which I understand is the premier fish to go after for true fishermen. I have no doubt that it is also a catch and release program. I brought back the information on cost and all but can't find it right now. I think it was $59 which includes a boat and equipment and guide.
Jim
Old October 29th, 2000, 06:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for that! My glance at their on-line information included 3 excursions, but that may be outdated!

How was your cruise?