Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 13th, 2000, 07:22 PM
Passenger

Default Category Guarantee & Cabin Assignment

We will be sailing on the HAL Volendam for the 10-day Southern Caribbean on 12-12-00. We can hardly wait. It is our first time on HAL.
We booked an outside "run-of-ship". Our invoice reads "Category: X, Outside; Cabin #: GTY". We have already received our documents and the cabin has not yet been assigned. If there are still mini-suites available immediately prior to sailing, what are the chances of being placed in one? (By the way, there ARE mini's still available as of today)
Thanks in advance! : )
Kristin
Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2000, 12:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default RE: Category Guarantee & Cabin Assignment

Kristin,
We booked Cat. Z on the Ryndam for the Western Caribbean portion of our holiday ( will be on Century, Eastern Caribbean the following week). Cat. Z is "run of the ship" Inside. We don't mind taking chances with the cabin placement and have decided to cast our fate to the powers that be!
I'm also aware that we may not get a cabin assignment till we check in at the cruise terminal.
I'm now wondering what to do with our luggage if that's the case.Without a cabin # to write on the luggage tags we may have to wheel them on board ourselves!
Good luck getting the upgrade you're hoping for and have a great holiday.
Ashley

PS I think there is always a chance you may get the mini suite. On the second week of our holday aboard the Century, we recieved a 5 category upgrade even though we booked a specific inside cabin. We went from a cat.9 cabin to a cat. 4 cabin. Our TA said she's never seen that happen.
Old November 19th, 2000, 01:48 PM
Passenger

Hey Kristen, my wife and I booked the same cruise! Like you we booked a guarantee, only a Cat C guarantee. We originally wanted to book the Wayfarer on the Zaandam, but chose the Seafarer on the Volendam due to the much larger inventory of minisuites remaining on the Volendam in June when we booked. We have been watching these minisuites go unsold and were fairly confident that as past guests and with the more expensive Cat C guarantee booked we would be upgraded. Much to our surprise and disappointment we received a Cat C assignment this week. Who knows how these things work.
Old November 20th, 2000, 10:22 PM
RoboCop

Kristin, there is always a chance but going from a Cat X run-of-the-ship to a mini-suite is slim to none and slim left town. What you will get is an outside cabin and it will be the best available after they upgrade everyone that has paid for a higher cat cabin before you. You will get at least the lowest cat outside cabin but may move up one or two catogories.
Jim
Old November 20th, 2000, 10:25 PM
RoboCop

Ashley,
What you will do is when you arrive at the terminal tell the porter that you don't know your cabin assignment as of yet. He will have a list of all passengers and their assigned cabin # and he will place the tags on your luggage for you.
Jim
Old November 21st, 2000, 01:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the info, you just never know when or where you'll pick up some useful information. Just another example of why I love this message board!
Ashley
Old December 1st, 2000, 09:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

My husband and I just booked this same cruise on Monday. This will be our 8th cruise but lst time on HAL as well as the first time. Our agent talked us into do the "guarantee" booking for oceanview cabin where we will not know cabin assignment until we arrive dockside. Must admit this makes me a little nervous but we will see.
I have been scouring the boards trying to get info on the ship. Have a friend who took this same cruise last year and they absolutely loved it. If you have heard any special advice/hints would appreciate hearing them.
This is a spontaneous "us time" escape so we are really looking forward to it. Live in Florida and Ft. Lauderdale is our favorite port so that makes it even better.
Take care........Diane
Old December 7th, 2000, 06:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

I booked an "outside guarentee" on the Volendam in June last year to Alaska. About 3 weeks before we sailed, we got our cabin assignment. We were assigned an outside cabin on Main Deck, about 3 cabins from the rear of the ship. I noticed that it was a "quad" room on the ships diagram, and I thought it likely we might get moved prior to sailing IF a family booked at the last minute and needed the 4 beds. Two days later, my T/A called and said we had been "upgraded" to a cabin, still on Main deck, but exactly midship. It was perfect, and I couldn't have picked a better location (except if I had a suite!) myself!
The Volendam is a beautiful ship. Modern, but still ship-like, with beautiful artwork, and understated elegance. You will have a great time no matter where your cabin is!