Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 23rd, 2000, 07:16 PM
golfingran

Default Veendam

We are going to be on the Veendam - don't see anything posted here about this ship - we understand that it is the sister ship to the Zaandam. Anyone been on it? Would like to know how you rate it. This is my second trip on HAL and we were on the Westerdam before.
Golfingran
Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2000, 07:03 PM
al cerrachio

Default RE: Veendam

The veendam is not a sister to the Zaandam she is one of four sister ships in the HAL fleet. The others are the Statendam, Ryndam and Maasdam. I have sailed the Ryndam and the Veendam and much preferred the interior decor of the Veendam. Enjoy your cruise on her, I certainly did.

AL
Old December 30th, 2000, 07:59 PM
Passenger

Default RE: Veendam

We have been on the Veendam twice and would go for a third but we are going on the MS Amsterdam this March. We love the ship, our last cruise was a back-to-back so we were on her for 14 glorious days. If you have any certain questions please feel free to email me and I would gladly answer them.

You are going to love this ship, were is your cabin? I look forward to hearing from you. Happy Holidays:~)
Debi
Old January 17th, 2001, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Veendam

I sailed the Canada/New England itinerary on the Veendam in August 1998. I found the ship to be well maintained and the food was excellent. I really liked the decor in the dining room. The service was excellent. I would love to go back on that ship.
Old January 17th, 2001, 03:55 PM
Admiral

I was also on the Westerdam. The Veendam is a much nicer ship. Enjoy your trip. If you want more information, feel free to contact men.
Old January 17th, 2001, 03:55 PM
Steve Swicegood

Sailed on Veendam last spring (Western Caribbean) and it turned out to be one of our best vacations ever.

We had sailed previously on the Statendam (Alaska). The Veendam was the exact same layout but with a different (more subtle) decor. The Statendam has a beautiful mosaic (spelling) tile mural behind the staircase in Showroom (connects main floor to balcony)-- it was a perfect picture background. The Veendam had a relatively plain wall in that same spot. However, it did have a breathtaking blue and green glass sculpture in the atrium. The cabins were exactly the same.

On both ships we rarely felt any movement. NEVER saw even a speck of paper on the carpet.

You didn't say where you are going... if you're taking Western Caribbean route-- be sure to go to Stingray City (anybody can enjoy this young or old and you don't have to know how to swim!).

Also Holland America's Castaway Cay proved to be our most enjoyable day. Only wish we had been able to stay an extra hour or so. Everything there was perfect.

Enjoy!