Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2000, 09:27 AM
First Mate

Default Westerdam on March 2nd

Has anybody been on one of HAL's SockHop cruises? Does everybody dress up in 50's attire? Also, do any of the lounges play other types of music during the cruise?

My husband is worried that the cruise will have a lot of 60+ folks on board. After the fun on several Carnival cruises, he's a bit nervous about sailing Holland America. He's afraid that he'll be bored. Have other people found this to be a problem? The only HAL cruise I was on was an Alaska cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the ship seemed to shut down about 11:30. Mike has only sailed on Carnival.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Sharon

(Future cruises - HAL Westerdam in March, Carnival Jubilee in June, Carnival Pride inaugural hopefully)
Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2000, 01:41 PM
RoboCop

Default RE: Westerdam on March 2nd

Sharon,
Yes most folks dress up in sterotypicial 60's dress for the sock-hop. They do play other music as well you you will have a chance to do the full range of dance steps. <G> HAL caters to an older clientiel than Carnival and is not as party-time but there is still a good bit of activity. You will still find many people of all ages, but few children, and while most of the ship gets very quite later, the disco keeps going as long as there are folks to enjoy it.
Jim
Old December 31st, 2000, 06:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are going Jan 14th on the Westeram sockhop cruise. I will let you know how it is, but we have heard great things about the ship & the shows, etc. Tell your husband not to be nervous...it is a cruise so it WILL BE FUN!!!
Old January 22nd, 2001, 12:39 AM
marian weiss

Hi,
We're booked for the 50's cruise for November 25th 2001.
My husband and I are very excited about it. We'd love to hear your comments and suggestions after your cruise this month.
Especially interested in the 50's related activites, the
headliner entertainment, and anything else that you think a 50's nostalgia fan would like to know. Hope the cruise is everything you're hoping for! marian weiss
Old February 4th, 2001, 10:39 PM
Bill Turnbull

Just returned from Westerdam Jan 19 - 27. 50's/60's band (Cadillacs) in Peartree Lounge nightly. The Crystals headlined one show and Bobby Rydell another. Also one song and dance show was on sock hop theme. All were excellent.

Only a few people dressed up in appropriate attire on the theme night in the dining room. Didn't see a lot of that era in everyday activities.

Bill
Old February 16th, 2001, 03:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Westerdam on March 2nd

I was on the same cruise with Bill on 1/19/01. He is correct that hardly anyone dressed in a 50's era theme. The entertainment was great. There was a pajama party one night in the disco. Take your pajamas. On one afternoon, they had an informal gathering of the stars aboard the ship with the passengers. Be sure to take your camera as they will pose for photos with you and sign autographs. We were very fortunate to have The Crystals, Bobby Rydell, John Provost (Timmy in Lassie) and Billy Gray (Bud in Father Knows Best). I see on your cruise you will have Bowzer & The Stingrays and The Happenings. Have a wonderful cruise.