Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2001, 01:23 PM
First Mate

Default Comparison of Alaskan Cruise/Tours

I'm planning to take a 14 day Alaskan Cruise/Tour this summer with my wife and two children ages 12 and 14 and am trying to decide between Celebrity, RCCL, HAL and Princess. Any input would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2001, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Comparison of Alaskan Cruise/Tours

I've only sailed with RCI in Alaska, so can't offer any first hand experience. Certainly Princess and HAL are sort of the kings in Alaska.
The Celeb and RCI land tours are going to be in their first summer, and while I'm sure they'll be wonderful, there MAY be some glitches.
That said, the fact you're taking young teens along may be a reason to look at them as opposed to HAL and Princess. Likely to be less children on those two lines. Especially on land tour portion.
Whatever your choice is, I'm sure you'll all love it. My teen boys actually preferred Alaska to the Caribbean because the excursions were more adventurous.
Take them up on a helicopter to the glacier, and do some dog sledding on the glacier, and they'll be talking about it for the next two years.
Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
Old February 15th, 2001, 08:11 AM
Admiral

In my experience, depending on the kids, most would be bored part of the time on the long transportation distances on a fixed schedule. Also expect an older crowd on the tours. An option I would consider would be independant travel via rental car or RV. Alaska has too much to offer not to be able to stop when and where you want. I travel for about 1/2 the tour costs and in my opinion I see twice as much. A necessary reference is THE MILEPOST.
Old February 15th, 2001, 09:55 AM
First Mate

Kuki
Thanks for your response. I've read your very enjoyable reviews which have me already leaning toward RCI. The amount of enjoyment you've had clearly comes through; I can't wait!
George