Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2001, 07:20 AM
Passenger

Default Teenager on Westerdam

I'm considering booking a cruise today on the Westerdam for 3/18-they are running a special, and it is when my son (12-almost 13) will be off of school on spring break. Will there be anything for him to do. Does the senior crowd react well to teens? He is quite mature for his age and is very comfortable around adults. Please give me your thoughts on this one quickly, as I have to make my deposit asap. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2001, 09:11 AM
David Starkey

Default Re: Teenager on Westerdam

Because this particular ship does not have ANY quads and Holland doesn't attract many kids I suspect very few children will be aboard. I have two teenage boys and have stayed away from this ship because of the quad situation.( my parents love this ship, but i don't its a good fit for families traveling with kids) My kids have sailed Royal Carribean and Celebrity for years and enjoyed them both.(our experiences on Princess have been less than good)...my boys current ages are 13 and 16...........best of luck.....I'd try another ship (line).....
Old February 27th, 2001, 07:34 PM
hobbsey

My review of the Westerdam has recently been posted to this site, take a look. We were on her last year in march/april and loved every minute.

There is not going to be much for your son to do on this cruise, i suspect. But if he isn't concerned about there being few others his age and no real kids center or activities then go for it. the other passengers will love him I bet and he'll have all kinds of new aunts, uncles and grand parents.

One thing I did discover on this ship was one of the youngest cruise staffs afloat. the cruise director as great. The wait staff and the rest of the service staff very attentive. The ship is fun and funky in some ways and very staid in its decor. there is lots of open space especially atthe aft. The movie theater is great.

Wth the prices being offered on this ship I'd anyone to go for it who can live with a slow pace.

Jeff
Old February 28th, 2001, 10:26 AM
Passenger

Thanks for your replies. I did book the cruise, since I got a great deal. I called HAL and they were nice enough to let me know that there will be over 30 children n board over the age of 9 and over 40 who are 13 or older. Just enough kids for my son to find a few friends, and not so many that even I would not want to be on the ship.
Old February 28th, 2001, 12:01 PM
First Mate

Excellent News Joan,

You'll have a very good cruise.
Old February 28th, 2001, 12:41 PM
Passenger

Joan,

I've taken my 3 teenage boys on a HAL cruise on every spring break since 1996. We've cruised the Veendam, Ryndam, Nieuw Amsterdam and the Westerdam X 2. If my kids had a choice, and since I'm buying they don't, they would pick the Westerdam for the most fun. In fact, we're booked on the Westerdam on 31 March.

Yes my kids are older now, but they remember how much fun they had onboard their 1st Westerdam cruise in 1997 and can't wait to get back. Don't worry, your son will do just fine.

Thom