Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2001, 11:20 PM
First Mate

Default Ryndam

Has anyone been on the Ryndam? We are looking at cabin 704 for their fall trip from San Diego to Rio. Looking for information on the wheelchair accessiblity of this cabin, and if you know if they will sleep 3 in there.

Also, any other information about this ship, including accessibility. Anyone know if they have the new tender device for wheelchairs that Holland America has advertised? How was the service and the food? How about entertainment?
Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2001, 08:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Ryndam

I have no experience with that particular room, but I have been on the Ryndam, and she is a great ship. That being said, she is not one of the newer ships, and handicapped accessability is not as good on the older ships. I know this for a fact, as I travel with my mother who is restricted to a wheelchair at this stage in life. (The last time I was on the Ryndam she was not yet wheelchair bound.) So, don't plan on ADA perfection, but other than having to wait a little bit for a elevator empty enough to get a wheelchair on, you should do fine. The older ships are ok, just not as easy to navigate as the younger ships. I think I remember reading that the handicapped cabins only slept two, but I'm really not sure. I would suggest you call HAL. With regard to the wheelchair transfer for the tenders, I know it is on the Statendam, as they sent us a letter once we were on board advising they needed advance notice to use it. At the time, I think it was the only ship with that capability, but they were planning to outfit others. My guess would be they would start with the Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and then go to the Volendam, Zaandam, and gradually go thru all of their ships, from newest to oldest. Have a great trip, if you decide to go!
Old March 24th, 2001, 08:30 PM
Herb Meisen

Having also sailed on Ryndam, I would agree with Kathi that it is a wonderful ship but I would take issue with her description of Ryndam as an 'old' ship. She went into service in 1994 and is among the four Statendam class of newer HAL ships. I feel the only ships that HAL has in service that could be classified as 'old' would be the Westerdam and the Noordam. Any HAL brochure that has a layout of the cabins on the Ryndam indicate which cabins can sleep three. As Kathi suggests, a call to HAL will clarify any questions about handicap accessability. I think you will really like the Ryndam and you should take advantage of the best feature of all the newer HAL ships- the all-around, teak lower promenade deck which is shaded from the sun and shielded from the rain. Happy sailing.
Old April 2nd, 2001, 03:58 PM
Hank

Just returned from Cape Horn cruise. Only tender port is Stanley, Falkland Islands - all others dock. Many wheelchairs aboard and many on certain shore excursions.
Hank
Old April 4th, 2001, 05:15 PM
diana in AZ

We spent 7 days on the Ryndam on an Alaska cruise in 1999. It was so wonderful we are headed for the Zaandam and the repositioning cruise through the Panama Canal next week. Alaska was our first cruise and the Ryndam will always be special to us because of that, she is a great ship.
Diana