Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2001, 07:02 PM
max

Default AMSTERDAM Norwegian Fjords-Baltic

We are booking Amsterdam for the June 11th cruise up the coast of Norway and back to back for the Baltic cities following...anyone else taking these cruises? would appreciate finding out number of formal nights, informal nights and casual nights for dining on these cruises...makes quite a difference in clothing taken...any comments from people who have taken these cruises appreciated..Max
Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2001, 10:18 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Lois
Default Re: AMSTERDAM Norwegian Fjords-Baltic

Took the same cruise last year on the RCCL Splendour of the Seas. It was round trip from Harwich England 12 days.

I have been to Alaska, and had anticipated similiar surroundings. The landscape is totally different. Much more like Milford Sound New Zealand. Few glaciers, lots of waterfalls off the cliffs. Each port is a small little fishing village, where the population is 10 times normal during peak season (population of 700 becomes 7,000). On land you will find lots of RVs and camping.

Because our ship left from England, we had many passengers from the British Isles, some Europeans (France, Germany, and Spain), the rest Americans.

I love the leasurely cruise where the scenery is more important than shopping. Of course, do not expect swimming weather (unless indoors), take lots of layers of clothes. The temperature/climate changes rapidly and you will need to peel layers during the day and add layers when overcast.

I, personally, ignore dress 'standards' and dress the way that I want each night. I consider formal nights a photo opportunity for the ship and really do not like to dress up when on vacation.

My husband and I have traveled HAL many times, and will be doing Istanbul to Rome on May 17th this year on the Nordam. Last November we did the Nordam from Rome to Lisbon. We love the service and food on HAL. Been on the old Rotterdam 3 times, and the Ryndam once.

Have a wonderful time! Traveling to the North Cape is a memorable experience. I have been to the top (North Cape) and the bottom (Gibralter) of Europe.

Lois
Old May 1st, 2001, 10:21 PM
max

Default Re: AMSTERDAM Norwegian Fjords-Baltic

thanks for replying...must not be too many people making this trip as this message has been on the board for a long time and yours is the only response....thanks for the information...we're looking forward to this cruise although have been reading some bad reviews of the Amsterdam ship....hope they are not true...Max