Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 1st, 2001, 10:26 PM
max

Default Amsterdam...good or bad??

We are booked on a back to back cruise to the Norwegian Fjords and the Baltic in June...have just been reading some bad reviews of the Amsterdam....being a new ship, presumed it was state of the art in all things...seems more and more of these "super" liners are coming with many flaws...must be building them too fast....would appreciate anyone who has been on the Amsterdam lately to express their viewpoints...HAL "used" to be a top line to cruise with but I am wondering at this point...too costly and too long a cruise to be stuck with a bad ship...please, any comments?? Max
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2001, 12:05 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Amsterdam...good or bad??

Good luck, Max - trying to find out about the Amsterdam. I had the same concerns and posted here a few weeks ago but only Kuki replied. I value his opinion and I read a lot of really bad things about the Millennium before I went on it in February and you would not believe it was the same ship people wrote about! The ship was beautiful, service and food were excellent and we only experience a slight vibration when on the back top deck once and again in the dining room once or twice. To be honest, if I had not read so much about the vibrations, I probably would not even have paid any attention to it. All we did is remark to each other "Oh that must be the vibration everyone is talking about." It was more of a "Is that all there is?" experience. So with that in mind I went ahead and booked the Amsterdam for November to the Panama Canal. So far, you are the only one I know of going on the Amsterdam on any of these boards. So please do let me know what you found! I had also considered the trip you are taking, but the timing worked out better for Nov. So I will be interested in your review - maybe I will go next year.

Maybe some more HAL travelers will show up one of these days. I have a lot of questions about pre-cruise too. Maybe when it gets closer to the time, others will show up.

Good luck and have a great trip.
Old May 2nd, 2001, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

We were just on the Amsterdam end of March, beginning of April. The ship is marvelous. Very comfortable. Excellent staff!
I'm hoping to sail her again, possibly in the Baltic. I don't think u need worry AT ALL.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
<<Join us for a CruiseMates Group Cruise
<http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/CMcruises/CM-cruises.cfm>
Old May 3rd, 2001, 06:55 PM
Kregg

My wife and I sailed on the Amsterdam in Nov. 2000 through the Panama Canal. Everything was perfect. We planned our trip to Europe this year around a cruise on the Amsterdam out of Rome, just because we loved the ship, staff and experience so much. Don't worry....she is fantastic.
Old May 3rd, 2001, 11:32 PM
John F.

We were lucky enough to sail on the Amsterdam with Kuki and it was a wonderful cruise!!! It was the very best service from the staff on board that we have had in 17 cruises. It's a great ship that I am sure that all that sail on her will truly enjoy all she has to offer. Happy Sailing!!! John F.
Old May 4th, 2001, 07:33 PM
Passenger

I would love to hear about your trip last November. Did you leave from Costa Rica? I have booked a day early departure but don't know if that will give me enough time to go to Arenal Volcano or not. Any info would be welcome. HAL only has one hotel as an option and it is very expensive. I am willing to spring for one night, but if it takes 2 to be able to see the volcano, then I might want to explore other possibilities.
Old May 8th, 2001, 12:48 AM
max

Thanks so much for all the replies...makes us feel MUCH better about the ship...really looking forward to it now...should have learned from experience that every ship has it's critics and usually the experiences are unfounded....we, too, went on the Millennium in Feb and it was great....didn't notice any vibration and we had a fantastic waiter and assist waiter....thanks again...will try and post a review of the trip upon return...Kuki, which itinerary are you taking to the Baltic...ours is June 10th to 22nd...if you are on board, would appreciate meeting you...enjoy your comments....Max
Old May 17th, 2001, 05:21 PM
First Mate

Judie - I agree that it is difficult to know what people are complaining ABOUT! We just are off the Zaandam; a delightful cruise of 3 weeks. We would hear people complain if things weren't "perfect" [ your definition here; I have no clue what "perfect" is to them] So my husband and I devised a short hand. There is a remark "They would complain if they were hung with a new rope" meaning they complain about EVERYthing! The short hand, the minute we heard someone launch into the whiner's lament was "New Rope" . The Zaandam is a new ship as well. Two washers were out in the laundry room one morning; seems some Einstein thought "If one press of the detergent button is good -then five must be better" and there was SO much soapsuds that it completely clogged the washing apparatus, shorting out the electrical system. That is -plain and simple PASSENGER error! I don't work for and have nothing to do with HAL [ wish I did; I was a librarian for 35 years] but the engineer was up and trying to fix it within fifteen minutes. Same with toilets; a vacuum system IS different. There were times when elevators were in use by others and blocked off with a red lighted "X" - like disembarkation/embarkation, so luggage could be taken down [or up] Most things that seem "wrong" have a logical reason.............Enjoy your cruise; I'd get right back on in a flash if I had the opportunity!!!! Anne from Colorado