Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2001, 08:33 PM
Mary Lou

Default Ever miss the boat.....literally?

I've been accused of "missing the boat" a few times in my life, but has anyone out there ever really missed the boat at one of the ports? If so, what did you do? I've heard horror stories of "locals" who will be happy to run you out to the ship for a "price". Then I hear you must climb up the ladder?????????
Please let me hear your stories.
Mary Lou
Thursday Chat Host
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2001, 09:46 PM
dizyca

Default Re: Ever miss the boat.....literally?

I have never "missed the boat", but one passenger on out last cruise nearly did. He was in town shopping and we noticed him, as we started pulling away from the dock, running as fast as he could down the dock. Fortunately for him we had a very nice Captain and he backed up for him. Also the port crew were still there and helped him. The crew on board the ship, put out a ramp and he ran like "H" up it. We were talking to him later and he said he just didn't realize the time and was so thankful that the Captain backed up for him as the next day was a sea day for us.
Don't know what he would have done if he'd really "missed the boat".
Old June 29th, 2001, 06:05 AM
FrankM

A couple of years ago while I was on the Norwegian Dream in the Caribbean, a couple missed the boat as it was leaving the dock. They had to get a ride to the ship on the Pilot boat. The couple was charged $1,000 for the delay by the cruise line for the delay.Some people leave their vigilence at home when on vacation. Some day they will pay the price as this couple did.

I always carry my pastport,a credit and enough cash so that I can fly to the next port and re-board the ship if this should happen to me. If the ship will dock the next day, it's cheaper to get a flight there and stay over night than spend $1,000 getting back on the ship and paying the fine. Needless to say, it's best to keep track of the time and also to keep your watch adjusted to the local time.

I've heard of some people not adjusting their watches for the whole trip, even when the cross time zones. They are just asking for trouble if they get caught in a time squeeze.
When you are under time pressure, it is difficult to figure things out in your head. It is easy to miss calculate and miss the boat.
Old June 29th, 2001, 06:05 AM
FrankM

A couple of years ago while I was on the Norwegian Dream in the Caribbean, a couple missed the boat as it was leaving the dock. They had to get a ride to the ship on the Pilot boat. The couple was charged $1,000 for the delay by the cruise line for the delay.Some people leave their vigilence at home when on vacation. Some day they will pay the price as this couple did.

I always carry my pastport,a credit and enough cash so that I can fly to the next port and re-board the ship if this should happen to me. If the ship will dock the next day, it's cheaper to get a flight there and stay over night than spend $1,000 getting back on the ship and paying the fine. Needless to say, it's best to keep track of the time and also to keep your watch adjusted to the local time.

I've heard of some people not adjusting their watches for the whole trip, even when the cross time zones. They are just asking for trouble if they get caught in a time squeeze.
When you are under time pressure, it is difficult to figure things out in your head. It is easy to miss calculate and miss the boat.
Old June 29th, 2001, 05:18 PM
tomc

Default Someone almost did

I have a friend who is kinda ditzy. It's not old age; she's always been that way. On cruises, when she goes ashore, she will say, "Oh, the ship will wait for us." This is not on a ship-sponsored shore excursion, just whenever she happens to be walking around on her own. So far, she hasn't missed it. Some day....

I was in Quebec City as we just started to loosen the ropes and get moving, listening on my marine-band scanner, when someone came rushing down to the dock. Someone on the bridge asked shoreside if the guy would climb up a rope ladder. He would not. So they got the dock crew to bring the gangplank back.
Old July 3rd, 2001, 10:24 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to jon
Default Re: Someone almost did

Many years ago in NYC as the Oceanic was sailing a women missed the ship. The Oceanic was already perpendicular to the pier & headed down the Hudson. A tug brought her out as the Oceanic held its position for many minutes. Off came the high heels & the pretty suit with short skirt. You could see her long blonde hair blowing in the breeze & the tug crew & ship staff having a ball. The passengers were all lined up on the port side watching this. We were on the pier(after a great Bon Voyage party) laughing until it hurt.

Someone near us said "it must be the captains wife or they wouldn't hold the ship". Another person, much wiser said" it must be the captains mistress or HE wouldn't of delayed the ship!"
Old July 4th, 2001, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Hi, Mary Lou ...

I'll admit to being the source of that little tidbit of information !!!

Yep, saw it happen leaving King's Wharf on Bermuda. Harbor pilots climb the "Jacob's Ladder" like monkeys ... even those who obviously have had a successful career

People who don't like heights and are less than nimble would have a heck of a time.

Some friends recently had a problem at Playa del Carmen. The port at Calica was blocked by a merchant vessel, so we had to anchor out and tender in, which threw the time off for shore excursions and private touring. Even though it was announced in the ship's newspaper that the ship's clocks would NOT be reset, some folks either didn't pay attention or forgot. They came racing, red-faced and puffing onto the ship.

pamda -- CM First Time Cruisers Hostess and Clock-Watcher
Old July 6th, 2001, 11:03 PM
First Mate

During our trip in December, one family (a mom, dad, child, and grandparent) missed our boat in St. Maarten. Shopping bags in hand, they ran up to the ship screaming stop as we were pulling out of the pier and someone heard on the pilot boat and halted the ship. They were brought to the ship by the pilot boat and a lifeboat was lowered to bring them on board (one was a small child and the other, a senior).

I understand that the only reason the ship stopped was that they had left a child on board and the ship (Veendam) didn't want to have an abandoned child left alone without supervision. The family was charged a very hefty sum in excess of $1000.

We were parked next to a Carnival ship and these tardy folks were subjected to the jeers from those on the ship. Everyone ran to the starboard side of both ships to watch the spectacle. It was the discussion of the evening throughout the Veendam. Not surprisingly, the family did not show for dinner.
Old July 28th, 2001, 06:58 PM
paradocs

I have been on 5 cruises in the last couple of years. I never had even a close call until this July in Santorini on the Rotterdam. My sister and I were looking at jewelry and enduring a high pressure sales pitch. The saleswoman kept assuring us we had plenty of time to get to the tender. We foolishly waited too long. Didn't buy anything. By the time we got down the cliffs via the funicular the tenders for the Rotterdam had stopped running.

The pilot of some other line's tenders took pity on us and said to jump in. He raced to the Rotterdam. We wanted to tip him, but couldn't reach him. We boarded and the ship's officer said sternly that what we had done was very serious and we nearly missed sailing. He said they were not going to wait for us.

I would assume that the $1000 fine others here have spoken about has to do with the fact that the ship's pay port charges based on a specific amount of time in port. Luckily we had no fine. I never told my husband, as he wouldn't have been amused.

Later in the cruise my sister was telling a crew member about our near disaster and the crew member said: "Oh your the ONES!" Apparently, it was widely talked about amongst the crew.