Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2001, 04:20 PM
SuzieQ

Default HAL or Celeb for Alaska?

I really need some help here, guys!

We have a Sky Suite booked and deposited on Summit to Alaska 2002 Seward to Vancouver.

My mother currently has our TA looking into HAL full Suite on Volendam to Alaska 2002 inside passage Vancouver to Vancouver.

Her reasoning is that as HAL alumni we are getting a better price on a full suite at nearly twice the size of the Celebrity Sky Suite. We will only have to fly to Vancouver instead of Anchorage.

Can anyone offer their rationale or comparisons?
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2001, 05:48 PM
Talliho

Default Re: HAL or Celeb for Alaska?

I posted a reply on the Celebrity board - go for Volendam!!
Old July 12th, 2001, 07:19 PM
Henry

I agree with Talliho. There's no doubt that the Volendam is the ship. You're getting the Mariner discount as well. And the full suites are so MUCH better than sky suites. You know its twice the size. You know HAL's service in those suites is unmatched. What are you worried about?
Old July 12th, 2001, 08:36 PM
JimG

HAL and Princess are the standouts in that market. That being said, you're comparing apples with oranges. all 3 lines do inside passage and one way routes. Do a little more research and decide which would please you more, and then pick a line. HAL does sound best with the Mariner discount. Then pick the ship.
Old July 12th, 2001, 10:03 PM
SuzieQ

Well, thanks for all of the advice.
It did come down to the ship. We have been on Zaandam so we have a good idea of what Volendam will be like. But I just really need a change so we are sticking with our Celebrity booking. I know our cabin will be half the size...but I get a Martini Bar, a Thalassotherapy Pool, more spa treatments and a stop in Sitka as the trade-off.
Old August 11th, 2001, 01:29 PM
Admiral

A bigger concern should be a Glacier Bay visit. Also this year southbound Celebrity ships did not visit College Fjords and without at least 4 extra days land touring interior- you are spending more in time and flights from Anchorage- your curise will be the same as the round trip 6 of the 7 days.