Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 15th, 2001, 03:34 PM
Jim Thornton

Default Amsterdam's Damaged Propeller

My wife and I were sailing on the Amsterdam going through the Panama Canal when at the last set of locks (the Pacific Ocean side), our starboard propeller hit several large rocks and was damaged. We sailed on to Costa Rica on only one propeller skipping several scheduled ports. The cruise left Ft. Lauderdale on January 18, 2001. Does anyone know did the Amsterdam sail back to Ft. Lauderdale on only one propeller? Did it to go into dry locks causing several later cruises to be cancelled?
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2001, 09:23 AM
tomc

Default Re: Amsterdam's Damaged Propeller

That is BAAAAAAAD news. I'm booked for Sept 7, but I'm sure it will be ok. If my TA knows anything, I'll let you know.
Old July 17th, 2001, 09:26 AM
tomc

Default Oh, that was in January

Whew ... I didn't see the date the first time I read your post. I'm relieved.
Old July 17th, 2001, 09:36 AM
Captain

Default Re: Oh, that was in January

We were in Curacao in mid February on Volendam and Amsterdam was also in port. We had friends aboard Amsterdam and asked security at her gangway if we could board to visit our crew friends and they permitted us to...with lots of I.D. and our Volendam cruise card.

Amsterdam was beautiful and suffering no problems from the propeller and had missed no ports.
Old July 19th, 2001, 12:02 AM
max early

Default Re: Oh, that was in January

Hi...we just got off the Amsterdam after 2 cruises in Europe from June 10th to July 5th....ship was super! Once in awhile felt a little vibration but certainly not missing a propeller...we understood the Amsterdam doesn't have regular propellers as such but rather has 4 PODS with little propeller attached...must have been one of these that got damaged...man can they ever maneuver these new ships around..!

We are old cruisers and the Amsterdam is the most beautiful ship we have EVER been on...near perfect...course the color scheme was MY colors...reds, maroons, golds, polished woods etc....anyone lucky enough to choose this ship will be WELL pleased...Max
Old August 2nd, 2001, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Amsterdam's Damaged Propeller

We just completed Ireland & Ice cruise on Amsterdam on July 29-it is the smoothest sailing HAL ship we have been on. Only time we felt any vibration related to props was in dining room during rougher seas, and even then it was minimal. During bridge tour, there is a picture of the azipods (2) before ship was launched-ship is highly manueauverable with those puppies! The officer conducting the bridge tour told us there is a range of rpm where the props will vibrate, and they strive to avoid having the props in that range-my recollection that the range is at the higher end of available rpm. I agree with previous posts that this is one beautiful ship! Service was excellent. Have fun!