Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 22nd, 2001, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Default Costa Rica post cruise tour

We are booked on the Amsterdam Panama Canal cruise in November. Are considering adding the 4 night post cruise Costa Rica explorer, with a stay in a rain forest lodge, tram and volcano tour included. Has anyone ever done this? What are the accommodations like? Would you recommend it.? For $800/pp additional, is it worth it? We would probably never return to Costa Rica again, so if we don't do the extension, we would only see it on the bus from the ship to the airport. Any comments, suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2001, 06:23 PM
JimG

Default Re: Costa Rica post cruise tour

A good friend spends a month in Costa Rica every year. Stay instead at a pacific coast resort. you can still visit the mountains, rain forests and capital. The bet is that you'll go back there.
Old July 31st, 2001, 05:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Sue,I went with a friend on this cruise in Nov./00 and we did the 4 day Costa Rica Explorer, it was great,well worth the money. We stayed at the Villa Blanca lodge ,owned by a former president of Costa Rica, beautiful grounds,good ethnic food,great walks through the rain forest,went horseback riding and did the canopy tour which takes you up 90 feet in the air sailing from platform to platform on a pully and cable system(totally awesome).Went to the Tabacon Resort at the base of the Arenal Volcano and swam in the hot springs,georgous park like setting,beautiful water falls and had a great lunch here. The Villa Blanca lodge has adobe casitas (little houses) which are divided into 2 residences and are very clean and bright,it is very well run and everyone is very friendly,the weather is warm and in the evening the clouds decend and after dinner we would go for a walk around the grounds in the fog, very errie and great fun.I would love to go back again, it was the hi-lite of the cruise, if you need anymore info don't hesitate to email me. Anna
Old August 1st, 2001, 03:46 PM
Jim Thornton

We (my wife and I) sailed the Amsterdam, in February of this year, then went a Caravan Tours' 10-day Costa Rica Natural Paradise tour. The tour included a wonderful aerial tram through the jungle canopy, several boat cruises through the rainforest and biological reserves, saw lots of exotic birds, animals, and lizards, beautiful beaches, and swimming in hot volcano waters, etc. We travel from the Pacific Ocean to the Caribbean Sea staying several days at each location. For 10 days with lodging, transportation, a full-time guide, and all meals, the price was about $180 a day per person. Caravan will pick you up at the airport and drop you off there when your tour ends. The biggest problem was getting Holland America to take us to the airport to meet the Caravan tour guide. There is no need to exchange money as the yankee dollar is fully accepted. Caravan is headquartered in Chicago.
Old August 6th, 2001, 09:03 PM
Admiral

Hi Anna, thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my inquiry. I was begining to wonder if anyone had ever taken this tour. The information you provided was just what we were looking for-sounds like a great place. we have to make our final payment shortly, so will have to make a decision soon if we want to book this. I will contact you if I have additional questions. Thanks, Sue