Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2001, 10:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default motion sickness

I had not given motion sickness a thought as I figured on a large ship (Volendam, Inside Passage in early Sept), that would not be a problem. Just talked with someone who had slight problem with motion sickness on NCL, Inside Passage. I do have Bonine and the Relief Band to use when taking floatplane and helio.

Is motion sickness normally a problem on a ship like the Volendam, Inside Passage?

We leave in 2 days -- I am sooooo excited!
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Talliho

Default Re: motion sickness

Was on Ryndam Anchorage to Vancouver in 1999; roughest weather we had was last day which was Inside Passage cruising, but it wasn't bad and in fact was fine once we were really "in" the Inside Passage. If you have Bonine and Sea Bands I think you'll do fine. It's a wonderful cruise - have a great time!!
Old August 29th, 2001, 12:57 PM
dizyca

We did the Inside passage back in the'80's and the worst day we had was leaving Sitka because we were in open water. The rest of the cruise was smooth sailing. Use the Bonine - it works for me.
Old August 29th, 2001, 03:11 PM
Susan L.

Hi, I'm one of those people that can get "sea sick" standing on shore watching
the waves.

There are scopolomine patches which you place behind your ear that are just
great. These are available from you doctor. They come in a "one size
fits all" formula. To reduce/eliminate adverse side effects (dry mouth, blurred
vision) I learned to cut them in half and only wear half at a time. I've been in
20-25 foot seas and never felt even a "twinge" of sea sickness.

Have a great cruise. I envy you. Our cruise is not until November 12th, and I
can't wait.
Old August 29th, 2001, 11:30 PM
Dave B.

Never had a moment when I felty sick. Been in the roughest Trans Atlantic croosing 30 foot waves. Couldnt see anything but water all around and the sky above. Just went out on deck got some fresh air and was fine.
Old August 30th, 2001, 07:37 AM
Toley

Mindy,
We were on the Volendam at the beginning of August and most of the time it was very smooth. Even when the Captain said we would be experiencing some rough water, we were not affected and my spouse has had problems in the past. Neither of us took anything. Bonine is great is you do have any difficulty--no drowsiness. I have some friends who have had very bad side effects from the patches however. One had such problems with vision and balance that she was confined to bed for most of the cruise. Not fun. The Inside Passage is beautiful and the Volendam is elegant and has a wonderful staff. Happy cruising!
Toley
Old August 30th, 2001, 07:57 PM
Tim Agg

I agree with what everyone else has said. There are a few short sections of exposed ocean, but most of the trip is in protected waters. Take the advice about going outside if the sea does get a little rough ... and enjoy the view. You're also more likely to see whales than most passengers!
Old September 23rd, 2001, 03:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Now I can answer my own question about motion sickness on the Inside Passage. I had no problems at all -- I took Bonine each day. According to the nurse, some passengers had problems.

When we flew in a floatplane, I used the Relief Band (looks like watch that gives electrical impluse). I had no problems at all.

All this coming from someone who does endure motion sickness on curvy roads and refuses to go whale watching for fear of getting sick. Now I am willing to try whale watching off our coast.
Old April 27th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: motion sickness

Hi Mindy - Does the Bomine work once you start to feel queasy (can you wait until you know you're feeling ill?) or do you have to take it all the time 'in case'? We're not heavy drinkers but enjoy wine with dinner & I'm wondering if taking Bomine means you can't drink alcohol?

thanks,
N