Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2001, 07:06 PM
susan l

Default Volendam - Holland America

Help all,

I been reading some really mixed review about this ship.

It appears that unhappy people have a lot to say and don't mind taking the time
to post in the various reviews. These people seem "hell bent" to spoil others vacation plans. Most people, myself included, don't read these columns until they have already "booked" a cruise, then its too late.

People that are happy, don't need to gripe. Sooo, please let me know if
you/your group have experience with this particular ship.

I am a person who believes you "make your own day" and I really have not
had a "bad" cruise experience. Just a few bad moments.

Help set my mind at ease. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2001, 11:27 PM
Dave B.

Default Re: Volendam - Holland America

Not been on the V yet but have been on three other Hal ships. Never a bad moment. So you should be just fine. Confirmed Hal lover.
Old August 30th, 2001, 07:52 AM
Toley

Hi Susan,
I was really nervous about those reviews too! We had already booked the cruise when I began to ask questions and the folks on this board were wonderful. We were on the Volendam at the beginning of August for an Inside Passage cruise. It is an elegant ship with a fantastic crew. The public rooms are gorgeous and richly appointed. The food was great! Many, many choices. We had never sailed HAL before, but would again in a heartbeat. We have nothing negative to say about our experience on the Volendam and we are particular. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to help. Have fun!
Toley
Old August 30th, 2001, 08:56 AM
Captain

Hi Susan: We were on the Volendam last February and had a wonderful time. The crew is great, food abundant and excellent, beautifully decorated elegant ship.

Recently on another forum, I wrote a post similar to what you expressed as to the "happy cruisers" not bothering to comment. Very often it is just the pax who "have an axe to grind" that take the time to write all of their complaints and the happy pax go merrily on our way. I think the same thing exists as to people completing comment cards while on board the ships at the end of the cruise.

If only the unhappy people, who are often "seeking compensation" for some real or imagined occurence, complete the comment cards, the crew and ship may get a low rating for that cruise because the happy pax didnt bother to say it was great.
Old August 31st, 2001, 08:55 PM
Admiral

I've never had a bad cruise on HAL and that's included two during hurricanes! You definitely make your own good time and try to ignore those who can't. You'll love it! Have fun - I'm going on my 6th "dam" ship in just 6 weeks!! Can't wait
Old August 31st, 2001, 09:52 PM
dave b

Dorothy: Which Ship? I'm sailing on the Ryndam 09/21/01. papad is my nickname
on chats.

Have A Great cruise. this will be my 2 "dam" cruise.

but my 3rd time experiancing Hal's "dam" service.
Old September 2nd, 2001, 05:33 PM
susan l

Thanks to all who responded. You have made me feel a lot better.

Hope to meet some new "friends" on the sailing on Nov 12th.
Old September 4th, 2001, 07:42 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to jon

I sailed on Volendam 2 years ago & loved it - beautiful ship, well designed & great crew & food.

Last year went on Zaandam & hated it - same style ship but the crew was awful, food mixed.

I would do Volendam in a second - the captain was the same last year & I complimented him on Volendam & told him to teach the Zaandam some of his expertise!

Enjoy it - you picked a good one.
Old September 7th, 2001, 08:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was on the Volendam last summer to Alaska. We had a great room, good food, nice company for dinner, and in general, a good time was had by all.
Like you, I think people make their own destiny (at least to a degree) and I can't think of anything I didn't like about the Volendam, except that they didn't make flaming desserts tableside, like we have had on all other HAL cruises. I don't know what the problem was, they served the desserts from Kitchen, just not flaming at our table. I wondered if maybe they have had problems with water sprinklers or something... anyone know? Maybe they just didn't have enough staff that knew how to make them, I don't know, but we missed it!
You will have a great time, she has a flower theme and it shows in the fresh flower arrangements as well as in the art aboard ship!
Old September 23rd, 2001, 03:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Volendam in Sept, 2001. It was fabulous. The service was impeccable, the food was delicious. The ambience was perfect. We would definitely sail on the Volendam again.