Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2001, 08:26 PM
HannaS77

Default Ryndam Mexico cruise 10.8

Anyone have any information oin the Ryndam October 8 Mexican Cruise. Looks liike Cabo san Lucas may be out but I wonder about Matzalan and the little ports on the east side of Baha the vessel is supposed to visit,.
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2001, 09:02 AM
dizyca

Default Re: Ryndam Mexico cruise 10.8

This is the second time I have heard that "Cabo" might be "out". What happened here. Were they hit by a Tropical Storm or something?
Old October 3rd, 2001, 05:46 PM
HannaS77

A hurricane affected the Cabo San Lucas area late last week downing power supplies, affecting water supplies, communications, hoteld and resorts. The road from Cabo to airport was washed out.

The plight in the area, the flooding etc was showen for three nighhts on NBC Channel 4 News since they had a female reporter in Cabo during the hurricane. The poorer sdection of Cabo was hard hit as were a number of the water front luxury hotels. However, last night a local official made the statement, "come, we are alllright.?
Old October 13th, 2001, 12:49 AM
First Mate

Well let me tell you that as of October 7,2001 they weren't alright, because we just got off the Ryndam, which was supposed to visit Cabo on that day. We were told by the Captain that he was in communication with someone and was told that they would have it cleaned up by the time we arrived. But the very next day, he told us that there was still sewage in the streets and a bridge collapsed and that there was no way, for our safety, we would be visiting. They had no water, and no electricity, in parts. I don't know if it was cleaned up by the this week's scheduled visit or not, be we got an extra day at sea.

Cabo was the worst damaged but Loret also had washed out roads and standing water in some of the outlying streets. But since we were the first visitors of a large cruise ship, the mayor had rolled up his sleeves and cleaned with the locals the night before our arrival and I have to tell you that town really impressed us, with their friendliness and charm. The school children were even given part of the day off from school just for our arrival and were lining the dock side. Loreto knows how to throw a party! I showed my appreciating by shopping from several merchants, all who seemed happy to see us.

Sheila