Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2001, 08:15 PM
CC

Default Bringing Liquor Back on the Plane

We usually do all-inclusives in the caribbean so this is our first cruise. Usually we bring back several bottles of duty-free liquor. Does anyone know that has been on cruise lately and flown if there is a problem with bringing liquor onto the plane (in "booze boxes") as well as back to the ship. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2001, 12:34 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Bringing Liquor Back on the Plane

Is'nt liquor sold on the plane? Should'nt be a prob.....the ships I have been on require you to turn over liquor you bring back aboard from tour, then return it to you at end of cruise. They want you drinking from their bar However, when my wife and I cruise, we put liguor in our baggage to save from paying the ships high prices for wine. We do order wine from the ship for dinner.
Old October 20th, 2001, 09:32 PM
CC

We are sailing HAL and they have no problem (unless it has been changed) of you bringing beverages, alcholic or otherwise, on board. They don't conviscate it as do other some other cruiselines.
Old October 22nd, 2001, 10:28 AM
Stevesan

A good question. Since 9-11 Airline security is supposedly banning flammable substances from carry-on, and I'd assume checked luggage, as well. I'm aware of perfume and after shave being confiscated. Why not booze?
Old November 2nd, 2001, 01:21 PM
KrazyKruizers

We checked with our carrier, US Airways, and they informed us that a prepackaged duty free liquor box would be our 1 allowable carry on per person. We checked because whenever we have a cruise that stops in St Thomas we always have bought liquor there in the past and were able to bring it on the plane along with another carry on. Those days are gone.
Old November 17th, 2001, 09:03 AM
Passenger

just got back tuesday from panama canal. carribean and departure from costa rica. went thru 2 customs with booze in baggage and carry on. no one cared about it or asked!! their main concern was nail files, clippers, pocket knives, etc.
Old December 29th, 2001, 08:23 PM
Davd

As of today, the guidance given to customs and airport security folks is to continue to allow sealed bottles on flights.

According to the travel editors at the Washington Post in a December article, the FAA was asked to rule on this, and for now has stated that the prior rules of carry on will continue as is, allowing you to carry on a limited number of bottles (2, 3?).

This is subject to change, though so far I don't think any plans to do so have come about.

As of last week, when I came inbound from China, carrying in two bottles of cognac (duty free), there appeared to be no problems.

Cheers,

David