Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 15th, 2001, 01:25 AM
Jim Munkittrick

Default Zaandam 1.3.02

Enough nostalgia. Thought we had to go back to the Norway again but just wanted to move upscale a wee bit...ZAANDAM, Jan 3 2002.
First time on HAL, would welome any HAL input or Zaandam recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2001, 12:23 PM
FrankM

Default Re: Zaandam 1.3.02

Jim,

You are going to love the ms Zaandam. I just got off her from the Wayfarer cruise of 10/31 - 11/10 '01. The food was great. If you like crab cakes you will love the appetizer crab cake they serve. They are made with a cream sauce as a binder and are quite moist as opposed to typical crab cakes that have a dryer consistancy. If I had not ordered a main course, I would have ordered two or three more crab cakes. All the meals were great. You have a treat in store for your cruise.

The Zaandam is a beautiful ship. Unlike other more glitzer ships being launched by other cruise lines, the Zaandam has an elegance more in keeping with liners of yesterday. The atmosphier on board is very restfull and laid-back. You won't find wet t-shirt contests or other noisy activities announced over the P/A system. It is really an adult, classic cruise experience. You are not charged for Cappacino coffee in the Java Cafe or at your dining table. Nor, will be charged for ice cream or pizza in the Lido Dining Area. Flavored liqueurs such as cream de mint, banana and cherry are available free, to pour on your ice cream as well as the usual ice cream toppings. The pizza was good. Different flavored pizza every day. There are two diferent movies available each day in the theater. I saw "Pearl Harbor" and Enemy at the Gate".I was too busy to watch the other offerings.

The staff are terriffic throughout the ship; very friendly and efficient. I don't know which 10 day segment you are on; the Seafarer of Wayfarer. I was on the Wayfarer with port calls at Curacao; La Guaira, Venezuela; Trinidad; Martinique; St. Thomas and Half Moon Cay. That was a good itinerary.

You will have a great time. This was my second Holland American cruise, with many more to follow.I would take the same Wayfarer segment again to see more of the ports I stopped at. HAL is a Class Act! Enjoy your HAL Cruise.

FrankM
Old November 15th, 2001, 04:36 PM
D Leadbetter

I agree with Frank. The Zaandam is a very good ship. Although I have never ridden the Zaandam myself, I have ridden the Volendam, the Zaandam's twin sister and have been on 2 cruises altogether on Holland America Line. One cruise was a 7 day and the other was a 10 day. I can guarantee that you will thouroghly enjoy the ship and the environment created on it from the Holland America staff.

D Leadbetter
Old November 16th, 2001, 07:47 AM
Passenger

Been on the Holland Line 9 times with Wayfarer Cruise on Zaandam coming up
Dec. 10 and the West Itinerary on the same ship Dec.20.
We love Holland Line, yes it is a class line and a friendly crew.
Can't wait.
Hope you like it as we did. Zaandam is a beautiful ship as are all Holland
ships.
Regards, P
Old November 19th, 2001, 06:28 PM
First Mate

We too will be on the Zaandam on Jan. 3, 2002. We have read numerous reviews with the vast majority being very positive. It is a wonderful itinerary and the ship seems to have wonderful service and amenities.
Old November 20th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Jim Munkittrick

Pat....
Look forward to sailing hello!

We wil be the ones with the big grins on our faces!
Old November 28th, 2001, 05:34 PM
Rebs

We too, are on the Zaandam on the 10th of December! Only 12 days to go and counting. Do you have any shore excursions figured out? If so, let me know.

Your cruise buddy, Rebs
Old November 29th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Jim Munkittrick

We have treid to access the HAL web site to get a list of tour options, it keeps coming back saying theya re not loaded yet.......
hmmmmmmmmmm..

anybody know any magic to find out what they mght b?????
Old December 4th, 2001, 07:36 PM
Jim Munkittrick

Hey Pat, join Spikesmike (mike adn his wife Wendy and Sue and me in the Crows nest late evening on 1/3/02! Look forward to seeing you!

Rebs..last night mywife made our selections for us...a little horsback riding, and snorkeling, snorkeling, snorkeling!
Had ahard time geeting he shore excursons to open up on the HAL web site, finally got it yesterday morning.
Old December 4th, 2001, 07:36 PM
Jim Munkittrick

Hey Pat, join Spikesmike (mike adn his wife Wendy and Sue and me in the Crows nest late evening on 1/3/02! Look forward to seeing you!

Rebs..last night mywife made our selections for us...a little horsback riding, and snorkeling, snorkeling, snorkeling!
Had ahard time geeting he shore excursons to open up on the HAL web site, finally got it yesterday morning.
Old December 4th, 2001, 08:04 PM
First Mate

Hi Jim, First of all, thanks for the invitation to meet for a drink. I am travelling with my neighbour Ann, so if you and your wife can put up with 2 Canadian ladies, we'll get along well. Secondly, I had no problem finding the shore excursions. I went to the Holland America site, hit "Find a Cruise", then hit "Caribbean". I scrolled down to 2002 10 day Southern Caribbean Seafarer. The itinerary came on the screen. If you hit on each port, it lists all of the shore excursions available for that port. I tried it again just now and it still worked. Good luck. 30 days and counting!

Patt
Old December 15th, 2001, 08:31 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to Wayne

We are also sailing on Jan 3 and 13 doing back to back. do you know anything about the entertainment, meals, generally how the ship is.

We sailed on the Volendam, sister ship, to Alaska in July and it was great.
One thing we recommend for sure is the Marco Polo restaurant, it couldn't have been better, anyone gone to the one on the Zaandam???

Good cruisin.. 18 more days can't wait.

We leave out of Vancouver, B.C.
Old December 15th, 2001, 08:33 PM
Yeoman

re e mail address...n/m
Old December 16th, 2001, 05:05 PM
Jim Munkittrick

Pat & Ann
Would love to say hello!
After dinner and shows, goin to the Crow's Nest the evening of Jan3rd, gong to meet a couple other folks, from another board..just to say hi..join us!
Probably 11pm or so....

see you then!

Jim & Sue
Old December 21st, 2001, 08:06 PM
Tim Agg

We were on the Zaandam Nov 10 - 20. The Marco Polo restaurant on the Zaandam is very good. You'll love the ship and the itineraries are good. Why I didn't go for back-to-back cruises now escapes me - ten days just wasn't long enough.

If you have a spare evening in Ft. Lauderdale and want a serious food treat, book ahead at Mark's Las Olas.
Old December 22nd, 2001, 01:28 PM
Yeoman

Can you recommend any tours that you found interesting...snorkling or

4 wheeling..
Old December 24th, 2001, 03:24 PM
Jim Munkittrick

Wayne, try the HAL web site, we printed off about 20 pages of tours for the 1-3-02 cruise.
Cruie line prices, but there is the convenience.
Old December 30th, 2001, 08:40 PM
wayne & pat

Only 4 days and counting....we leave in 2 days..overnite in Vancouver and
one night in Miami...temperature in Bonaire today was 32 C....