Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Alchol on board

I have heard conflicting reports about the possibility of taking alchol on board for consumption in your cabin. I enjoy having a drink in cabin before diner and I'm not sure if I should consider buying it at duty free.
I've been told by HAL (ship services) that it's possible, I have also been told by HAL(ship services) that all hand baggage will be seached prior to boarding that any alchol will be kept until the end of the cruise. I asked my travel agent and they suggested that I might be able to bring something with me in my luggage.
Has anyone has a problem bringing a bottle of Gin on board?
Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2002, 02:59 PM
JimG

Default Re: Alchol on board

I've never had a problem bringing my own on with HAL, although when I stay in FL a day early, I always put it into the checked luggage. Put your booze in one of the newer plastic bottles and surround it with something soft, so it won't get banged around too much while getting to your room. There will be a duty free store in the waiting room, but I believe you must go back down to the store later in the day to personally pick up your package. I havent yet tried this, so perhaps someone else can shed better light on the subject.
Old January 9th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Tim Agg

We took 4 bottles of wine onto the Noordam a year ago when embarking at Rome on a Med cruise - no problem at all. As I recall we replenished some of it at Santorini, also no problem.
Old January 10th, 2002, 08:57 AM
First Mate

We have never had any problem taking liquor on board HAL when first embarking. In fact we take a separate liquor carrrier, which we check with the other baggage, and it gets delivered to the cabin along with everything else. And we leave our bottles out on the cabinet, by the glasses; no one ever says anything. But we have not been able to take any liquor purchased at ports to our cabin -- they take that away when you are boarding and deliver it to you before disembarkation with your baggage.
Old January 10th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Debbeq

We purchased liquor at the duty free store in the terminal prior to embarking on the Zaandam 11/30/01. We then had to get back off the ship at 3:30 and go pick it up to bring to our cabin. We also purchased some liquor in St Kitts and brought it right back on board with us, and we were also searched. No one said anything about us taking it to our cabin. Hope this helps. Deb
Old January 13th, 2002, 09:52 PM
Admiral

We have taken liquor in our carryons and have also purchased liquor in ports and carried it back on the ship in our backpack. Nothing has even been said about it. Moderation is probably the key.
Old March 26th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Passenger

Check it in your bags at the pier. I have had 5 bottles of wine survive. The odds are against them taking it. They want you to be happy. They feed this line to keep those that are conservative honest.

John