Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Default Serving size on HAL

I read recently someone's complaint that the food portions on HAL were on the small side - can anyone comment?
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2002, 01:31 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Serving size on HAL

If they are small just ask for another, I've never had a problem.
You'd be surprised how many Lobster tails are eaten by some people. I've seen 1 man eat 6 plates of tails.
Old January 10th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Captain

We have always found the portions to be all we wanted. In the event you would like more, just ask..you steward will bring you all you desire.

Remember, dinner is a five course delight....We have never been able to eat five courses at any given meal.
Old January 11th, 2002, 07:33 AM
FrankM

I have sailed on two HAL ships and found the food portions quite adequate. I eat all the courses available as well as the dessert. I have always walked away from the table full. The main course is occassionally smaller that I fix myself at home, but I do not prepare all the courses . If I order a second main currse then I do walk away stuffed. But, on a cruise, I want to sample as many dishes as I can. To me, that is the treat of cruising.

I have sampled many foods I normally don't fix for myself. I am normally a meat-and-potatoes guy, but on a cruise I become adventurous. My fellow passengers have introduced me to a variety of delicious foods that have left me with many memorable dining experiences.

I have found the meals terriffic. Much better than that which I have experienced on one of the other main-stream cruise lines. I continue to sail HAL for the total experience; and dining is one of the best parts. I can almost taste the huge leg of lamb I was served on my last Zaandam cruise. Boy, does this thread bring back some delicious aroma memmories.
Old January 13th, 2002, 08:29 PM
marlene

We have been on four HAL ships in the past five years and are planning another trip next month. The meals have always been satisfying. We have tried new dishes and enjoyed them and never left the table unsatisfied. In fact, the lunches might even be too much for lunch. I agree that if you ask for more, they'll bring it to you. Also, if you take advantage of all the courses--soup to dessert--you are unlikely to want more.
Old January 15th, 2002, 09:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Food portions just right. The staff will gladly serve seconds and thirds.In the past year I have sailed the Massdam twice and the Statendam twice. The soups were outstanding and I usually had two with each dinner. The food presentation is wonderful, the taste exceptional. I cannot wait for the next cruise.
Old January 16th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Sophia

Small serving size is actually good, so that you can sample more varieties. Just don't hesitate to order two (or even more) varieties for the same course or order more than one serving of the same dish. Then you can never leave the table feeling unsatisfied. The dining experience is one of the highlights of the cruising. Enjoy.
Old January 18th, 2002, 06:43 PM
mariner

Define small?

They're not the same as a restaurant at home. But appetizer, soup and possibly salad and dessert would be al a cart at home. And no one is asking for a doggie bag on ship.

No one has ever been carted off a HAL ship because of starvation.

As has been said: Sample as many items as you want as many times as you want.
Old January 24th, 2002, 08:59 PM
Passenger

The person who told you that must have been the size of a buffalo!