Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Captain

Default Noordam

I have read some bad tales from people traveling on the Noordam. Bad smells in cabon bathrooms. Toilets not working. Air conditioning problem in cabins. These were all from a year ago.

Anyone traveled with the ship in recent months. I was planning a 10-day Baltic Cruise this summer.

Need some help
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Noordam

Bob, I have been reading Cruise Critics, HAL page. Does not look like things have improved. We are sailing on a 2 week southern Caribbean Noordam cruise this month. I am a little worried. I'll let you know in Feb. how it is.
Old January 18th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Jim Francis

Bob~
We loved the 14 Day S. Carribean cruise on Noordam so much that we booked a transatlantic cruise while still onboard!
This is the last ship to have the elegance of the "pre-Carnival" HAL fleet. The wood still gleams, the brass is still burnished, and the ambience is reminiscent of shipboard life in the golden age of ocean liners.
Enjoy the experience of being on a SHIP! This is no floating shoebox with Neon geegaws plunging through 10 deck atriums.
The decks and deck chairs are teak, the promenade deck COMPLETELY ENCIRCLES the superstructure (something not even QE2 can say nowadays!), and the main show lounge looks like a LOUNGE, not a civic auditorium with silver Lame curtains.
After a hectic day ashore, you will appreciate the carpeted, upholstered haven that HAL has provided. From the floor to cieling windows throughout the promenade deck public rooms to the elegant simplicity of the embarcation lobby, Noordam is a class act.
As a beautiful, spacious ship, designed to carry demanding, upscale clients on longish cruises. It is AMAZING how gracefully this ship has aged!
Old February 7th, 2002, 10:06 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to vicky

Hi Didi,

My husband and I are sailing on the Noordam 3-17-02 doing the 14 day Southern Caribbean sailing that you took in January 02. Since you had some concerns regarding this ship (as we do since reading the HAL Boards on Cruise Critic!), I wanted to ask you how it went? Is it really as bad as some people have written? Or was the ship in good condition and all the issues that have caused fellow cruisers problems in the past been cleared up? What deck was your cabin on and did you have problems with the air conditioning in your cabin?

Here's hoping everything went okay and that you had a GREAT cruise,
Vicky :-)
Old February 8th, 2002, 10:30 PM
Passenger

Hi Bob and Vicky,
Just got back from our cruise. We had a wonderful time. Cabin was fine, A deck #491. Food was good. Ports were terrific.
Some people were not so lucky. Some rooms were without air conditioning for the entire 2 weeks. There were some with plumbing problems and there was foul odors at times around the ship.The ship was fully booked, so those with problem rooms couldn't be moved. There was a pretty constant vibration in the showroom and the Lido restaurant. We had the time of our lives, best vacation ever. I didn't want to get off. One couple had such a good time, they stayed on for another 2 weeks. I don't think there was a large number of cabins with air and/or plumbing problems, just isolated cases. Any other questions, feel free to ask. The only problem I can see with this cruise is, 1 week isn't going to be enough anymore!
Old February 15th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to rocster

The Noordam and her sister, the Neiuw Amsterdam both have the vibration, something in the design of them, or so I was told when on the Noordam back in 1996. I also remember the shower stall backing up and starting to flow into the room at the time of debarcation.
But she is still my favorite ship and cruise line.