Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2002, 09:49 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Ricki
Default Age Range

My husband and I will be taking our 1st cruise and we've choosen HAL's 9day cruise to Alaska in May as our Vacation. What age range can we expect on this cruise? We are in our early thirties and even though we don't party like we use to, we want to take full advantage of our time at sea.
Anybody cruising May 14th to Alaska from San Diego....?
Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2002, 11:41 PM
Tim Agg

Default Re: Age Range

We board May 4 in San Diego for the Sea of Cortez, but are staying on to Vancouver. We can usually be found before dinner [late seating] in the Ocean Bar on in the Crow's Nest after lunch when it's quiet. You will love Alaska - we've done that cruise 4 times, and there's at least one more to come. You will also love the Ryndam, which has a very classy design. These boards have some HAL critics whose favoured sport includes sneering at all the old folks. My partner and I are in our mid-50's. Eight years ago we took our first HAL cruise on the old Rotterdam. At LAX we boarded a bus, then moved to another terminal building to pick up more pax - one of whom, in her '80's, said to me "Sonny, you're on the wrong bus - you're too young for our ship." She and all her friends danced up a 17-day storm from LA to Hawaii and back, and convinced me that I would rather hang around the HAL "oldsters" who know how to have a good time than younger "pickles" that don't...

By the way, can you suggest good San Diego restaurants? - this will be our first visit to your city.
Old March 28th, 2002, 06:43 PM
LKA

Default Re: Re: Age Range

I agree. Two years ago my father took my sister, brother-in-law and myself on a cruise. We were all in our mid-40s and he in his mid 70s. He was running up all eight flights of stairs and generally running us, myself ragged.
Most seniors I know have the time to stay fit and can party a lot longer than I can!
Old May 9th, 2002, 01:24 PM
junglejudi

Default Re: Re: Re: Age Range

My husband and I are among the younger HAL cruisers. We love their ships and the "older" passengers who are always lively and a lot of fun. Plus, the gym is nearly always almost empty, so no problem using workout machines. We play all the silly bar and pool games and have a great time.