Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 9th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Passenger

Default question about dress and HA policies

HI,
This is my first cruise and I have been reading many things about cruises.

I was looking at the Holland America site and I came to a section on how to dress for a cruise. In the paragraph it said that comfortable, relaxed clothing is fine for evenings designated as casual; however t-shirts, jeans, and shorts are not allowed in the dining room or public areas.

What are the public areas that they are talking about?

Will I need to prepare to dress up every night in nice pants or skirt, shirt, and dress shoes? I am trying to keep my packing light for this cruise if at all possible. Right now it sounds like I am going to need a lot of clothes for different occasions throughout the week!

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2002, 05:22 PM
holly

Default Re: question about dress and HA policies

Make it easy. for casual nites I generally pack eith decent black pants or khakis and a bunch of tops. Color depends on the sandals/dressy shoes I am already packing for formal/semi nites. I ONLY pack a single pair of dress shoes/cruise, 2 sandals, and 1 walking/gym shoe.
Old April 10th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Yeoman

for the most part -public areas is anything outside your cabin
Old April 10th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Jim Munkitrick

HAL has three dress codes:

Formal
Informal
Casual

Formal...tuxedo level
Informal...slacks and sportsjacket
casual...slacks and shirt with collar

That is for men....duh! obviously! :-)

My wife chooses a cocktail dress and heels for formal evenings, slacks with silk blouse for informal evenings or a dress and slacks/golf shirt for casual evenings.

They ask you to retain the dress code for the entire evening, throughout the ship.

HAL maintains many of the original refinements that originally defined the cruise experience.

Bon Voyage!
Old April 14th, 2002, 05:20 PM
First Mate

I find that I can cut down on clothing if I plan my wardrobe during the day for casual evenings. If I am wearing shorts during the day, I plan on being able to just change the shorts for a pair of nice white slacks (if you are on a tropical cruise) and feel find in the dining room. Obviously if you are wearing a tube top or halter top during the day you may be more appropriately dressed in the evening with a nice quality polo shirt or other knit shirt with a collar (looks nicer than a t-shirt). Casual days are nearly always port days, so often you will want to shower before dinner anyway if you have been out in the tropical heat or doing a lot of walking or sports.
Old April 18th, 2002, 12:37 AM
Randee

I have actually worn jeans on casual nights. I am one of the few that does this. I get away with it with "nice" jeans and a nice shirt. You'll be fine whatever you wear. I have never gotten a dirty look from other passengers ( I do look for feedback) No one cares if
you wear the same thing twice. I have worn the same dress on 2 formal nights. No one
really cares. I used to worry about the very same thing re: packing. Now I know better.
Despite what people believe, there are no fashion police. The only exception to my rebellion is on formal nights. I will dress appropriately and not walk around in casual closes before or after dining on these nights. I'll give respect to fellow passengers that
want formal for the entire evening.