Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Beginner

Default Room Service Tipping

Hi - Is there someone particular assigned to each cabin to delivery Room Service, in which case I assume you tip at the end of the week, or is there someone different every time, in which case you tip each time?

How much is the norm? $2-3? or is it $5?

Nothing like being a newbie....

Thanks!
n
Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2002, 03:29 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Room Service Tipping

Usually your cabin steward delivers Room Service, if he is not too busy. There is no one person, so you would not tip at the end of the week. Tip $2-3 each time, but if you want to tip $5.00 I am sure he wouldn't refuse it. It's whatever you want.
Old April 28th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Captain

In recent years, HAL Cabin Stewards no longer deliver room service breakfast etc orders. There are stewards assigned to do this when orders are called in and for the door tags left out each evening.

We always tip at the time our order is delivered as we may never see this same steward again. They do a wonderful job and our experience has been they are very eager for the order to be perfect. If, for some reason, there is an error/omission, they are very obliging about returning with whatever it is you want.
Old April 30th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Nita

Last week on the Sun our cabin steward did not deliver our room service. We tipped a $ for ice and a couple $$ for continental breakfast or late afternoon snacks. It's up to everyone to decided what is right for him or her. Seems this is about the going rate though. Those who delivered on the Sun were so quick we had to almost hold them down to even give them a tip...........Nita
Old May 1st, 2002, 08:40 AM
Captain

I agree about the stewards not "lingering" and waiting for a tip.

On our Zaandam cruise, even though it often was the same steward who delivered our breakfast, we had tip money ready when he arrived as he came in, quickly delivered our order and was on his way out the door we had to just about "catch him" to tip him.

It made us all the happier to be sure to say "thank you".
Old May 31st, 2002, 03:41 PM
rkacruiser

Default Re: Re: Room Service Tipping

From my most recent experience on HAL(Volendam October, 2001 through the Canal), this response is accurate. I ordered room service twice and the same steward(not my cabin steward) delivered the tray. Tipping each time, I think, is appropriate(I gave him $1 each time and he seemed most appreciative). Management seemed to be VERY concerned that the order was OK. A few minutes after the delivery of the tray, I received a phone call from Room Service asking if I was satisfied and if the order was correct. I was impressed.
Old May 31st, 2002, 03:44 PM
rkacruiser

Default Re: Re: Room Service Tipping

I had the same experience on the Volendam; very quick in and out by the steward.