Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Karen B

Default ordering more than one serving

On HAL cruises, do they frown upon people ordering more than one serving - is it OK to order 2 appetizers for example?
Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: ordering more than one serving

yes---- you can even order two entrees if you like
Old April 30th, 2002, 07:55 PM
FrankM

Karen B,
There is no problem with ordering more than one entre, side dish or desert. However, it is best to place the additional order at the same time as your main order. This helps the serving staff keep on que and at your table to continually serve you. Should you place your order for an additional item later during the meal it forces the waiter or assistant to make a special trip to the kitchen for your special order. If ordered at the time you place your original order, the additional dish will be picked up with the rest ot the table's orders and delivered at the proper time.

I often order an additional entres or other courses to try other foods I don't usually prepare myself. I even shared an order of venison with a table mate since I could not consume the whole order myself and neither could she.. There is so much terriffic food served on HAL ships it's hard to know when to quit eating. One time I ordered a leg of lamb as a second course after another hefty delicious entre. It was huge. I was already stuffed, but the lamb was the best I have ever had so I forced myself to gingerly eat it all and not waste any of it.

The dining staff work hard to offer excellent service so ordering extras with the main order just helps the staff keep on track. But, that doesn't mean you can't order a second desert that you see another table-mate enjoying during the meal. Enjoy your HAL dining experience. It 's one of the best on the Seven Seas.

FrankM
Old May 1st, 2002, 06:50 AM
First Mate

I have often ordered 2 appetizers, especially if they are the large shrimp.

You don't have to order from each section, that is appetizer, soup, salad, entree. If you just want soup and salad - OK, or just appetizer and 2 entrees, OK. I rarely have soup and salad. They just give you too much food and if I have too much before the entree, then I can't eat it. Best to walk away from the table not feeling so stuffed.

Frank has a good idea - if you see something you might like to try, see if someone will share it with you.
Old May 1st, 2002, 07:46 AM
Karen B

Thanks for clarifying that for me - near the end of the cruise, we tip our waiter the last night of the cruise, right? We don't tip him during the meal in the dining room, right? How and when do we find him - do we go to the dining room and look for him? But we do tip for room service person immediately and not wait until the cruise is almost over, right? Just trying to get these things straight in my head!
Old May 1st, 2002, 10:38 AM
First Mate

You tip your waiter on the last night of the cruise as you are getting up from the dining table - at least that is what we do. He will no doubt have a packet of all the menus for you - get him to sign it when he gives it to you, unless of course, he has already signed it.

If you are ging to eat in the Lido that night, I would suggest giving him his tip on the last night that you will be eating in the dining room.

You tip for room service each time you use it.

Bar and wine stewards can be tipped each time you order a drink or bottle of wine or you can tip your favorites the last night of the cruise. In this case you will have to go around looking for them. We tip the wine steward in the dining room on the last night of the cruise. Don't worry you won't have to go looking for the fellas in the dining room - they will be around somewhere.

Any more questions, please ask.

Where is your cruise to and what ship and when?
Old May 10th, 2002, 03:47 PM
First Mate

Tip your dining room waiter & bus boy as you leave your table and say your goodbyes the last night.
Tip your cabin steward the day before you disembark or leave it in an envelope on your dressing table.
Tip your wine steward the last night if you have used his services.
If you get room service tip when delivered,same as in a hotel.
Bar service-tip each time is the best way.
We tend to stop at the same bar/lounge and tip our favorites the last night,as was previously suggested.
Have a great cruise.

Jim
Old May 11th, 2002, 09:28 PM
Passenger

Heck yes you can have more than one. I have had two main courses on many occasions and sometimes 3 different deserts.

Old July 2nd, 2002, 12:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

At our table, we ordered at least one of each dessert -- and shared.