Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2002, 09:02 PM
max early

Default Re: Re: Complaints about HAL

you'll LOVE the Amsterdam....we went almost a 4 week cruise last summer with a Veranda 6115 and it was SUPERB....Max
Old June 20th, 2002, 04:59 PM
DMize

Default Re: Complaints about HAL

Complaints?
Yeah, I gotta complaint! They make me get off and go home!
Old July 1st, 2002, 12:06 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Complaints about HAL

I am not susan but I can give you some info on this.

Carnival's drinking age is 21 and has been for a while. No one under 21 is allowed to cruise unless they are accompanied by someone 25 and older.

Anytime you are on a cruise when school is out (or anywhere else for that matter) you will have a much higher number of children.

Also since this thread is about HAL, I would like to hear what people have to say.

I know someone that went on a Disney cruise during Easter week and then came back and complained that the ship was totally full and way too many children on board. Well what did they expect?
Old July 2nd, 2002, 07:04 AM
mccar12

Only complaint we have with HAL is their insurance policy. Because of 9-11 we found it necessary to cancel our two back to back planned cruises in November 2001. They returned only 90% of our money and kept $1,200.00. We wrote them a letter and requested a future cruise credit for the $1200.00 but they refused and sent us a letter for a two category upgrade on a future cruise.

Needless to say we were extremely disappointed and we have been loyal HAL cruisers -- been on 7 HAL cruises. Always enjoyed each cruise -- food, service, etc. has always been great. Had only one bad experience with HAL and that was the room on the Westerdam -- TV was broke, Toilet seat broke, towels dirty and stained, pillows were disgusting and the room needed to be dusted. Everything was promptly taken care of and the Hotel Mgr gave us a shipboard credit of $50.00. We had requested a room change.

Guess everyone can have good and bad experiences on each cruise. It's how the various cruise lines respond to various situations. To me that's very important especially if a problem arises. We have found Princess and NCL very fair if there is a problem.

DMize wrote:

> Complaints?
> Yeah, I gotta complaint! They make me get off and go home!
Old July 3rd, 2002, 05:00 AM
pat watson

Default Re: Re: Re: Complaints about HAL

there is no tippingon HAL done by passengers unless you desire on the last night. I have been on 16 H AL cruises and take thank you cards which I appropriately give with a tip on the last night. I seldom see any money pass through hands on board. I think their no tip policy is great and would resent having a note in my room telling me what I owed in tips.
Old July 9th, 2002, 10:00 AM
jq

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Complaints about HAL

JUst got back from Statendam Alaska cruise and everything we heard about the quality of HAL was confirmed. I don't see how anyone could ask for more from a cruise or vacation experience. We loved the service, the food, the ship and most of all, the itinerary.

While we have not yet been on Princess or Carnival, we have been or RCCL which we found to be very good and American Hawaii, which is no more. From all our research and what I have read over the last year on many boards, Princess, HAL, Celebrty, are all similar depending on individual experiences and what you are looking for. I heard passengers from Carnival and NCI on the plane gushing over their trip also.

If you are out looking to have a great vacation and work at it, any of these could work. If you are nickpicking and trying to find something to complain about, that is probably there too. Good luck and great cruising.
Old July 21st, 2002, 06:35 PM
cruise pup

Katie - Most of the Princess ships which visit Alaska have no indoor pool facilities (the Star Princess is the only one so far). I think all of the HAL ships have a magrodome which makes one of the pools indoors. I don't usually use the tiny pools, but I'll tell you, when I was in Alaska it was nice to have the extra are to lounge around in. I was actually on the RCCL Vision of the Seas and their indoor pool and spa area was nice to have.
Old November 23rd, 2002, 05:05 PM
First Mate

Dear Slot,

Have been on 9 Carnival cruises.....have never OBSERVED anyone sleeping (drunk or not) in such a manner that I had to "step over" them.

I have observed, however, little old ladies, with note pad in hand recording everything they didn't find to their liking in a notebook while riding in the elevator: "Elevators are so slow", "look this deck light doesn't even go on", "wasn't enough food tonight" (both could have easily gone 6 months without food with no serious health problems).

I also do remember a fifty-ish lady dressed to the nines on an NCL cruise, getting all upset when bartender wouldn't serve her anymore and falling ass over appetite off her bar stool. I wonder if this means passengers on NCL cruises are all 50-year-old drunken sluts with diamonds on every finger ? . . . . hmmmmmmmmm?

Gary
Old November 24th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Brad Krewson

Default No Subject

Post Edited (12-03-02 19:57)
Old November 29th, 2002, 07:45 PM
First Mate

Brad,

I assumed you meant by "chill" that you thought I was EXCITED ?
....not hardly....just get a big kick out of someone bashing Carnival's "drunks".....I just seldom if at all ever see them.

"watch your words"....haven't a clue, sorry.

Gary
Old November 30th, 2002, 07:52 AM
NanR

Default NCL

We were on the NCL Dreamward years ago, before it was stretched and called the Dream. Best cruise ever. Tried the Norway three years ago for the nostalgia and sentimental value - disappointed, but not terrible. They have added too many cabins and the public areas no longer accommodate the numbers - we often could not even find lunch time seating at the casual restaurant and people were walking around the deck with plates of food, looking for some place to eat.
Old November 30th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Brad Krewson

Post Edited (12-03-02 19:57)
Old November 30th, 2002, 06:16 PM
First Mate

Brad,

I apologize for my worldly descriptions. I thought "ass over appetite" was a common grandmotherly expression....I should have said "Fell down and went BOOM !! "

As for the woman on the NCL cruise, "slut" was being kind. I only described a fraction of her antics. Slovenly and promiscuous didn't quite get it. The whole point of this comparison anyway, was to point out that because of this event, I didn't go on thinking this trophy wife was typical of all female passengers on NCL cruises.

Try to get out more, Brad . . . :-)

Gary
Old November 30th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Brad Krewson

Default No Subject

Post Edited (12-03-02 19:59)
Old December 2nd, 2002, 07:06 PM
peggy and dee

We leave in 4 days to cruise on the 11 Dec on the Amsterdam. Have no complaints about Holland we like the extras they give and most of all the pleasant crew members and smiling faces.
this will be our 13th cruise with them.

and we are also booked on the Zuiderdam on the 21st for Xmas.

No complaints from us folks from Florida.

We have been on many lines , over 50 cruises since l974.
Peggy and Dee loves cruising.
Old December 3rd, 2002, 04:23 PM
John Q

While we have only been on the Statendam (June 2002), I would be a little concerned about the Amsterdam right now after repeated problems with the flu thing. I know Disney and Carnival are now having similar problems, but not as persistent as the Amsterdam. We know someone on there in June who was sick the whole time and swore there was something wrong, and that was way before any announcements weeks later.

But with all the press, there should be some good bargains on HAL ships this coming year.
Old December 4th, 2002, 11:03 AM
LadyPilot13

Go to cruisecritic.com and see the complaints concerning the maiden voyage problem of the Zuiderdam on December 14.
This is our first time on Holland America and probably our last if they give their paying customers the treatment that is on that board.
There are WAY too many options in the cruise industry at this point than to accept any thing less than excellent customer service.
So yes, we have a big complaint and haven't even gotten to our ship yet.
We will enjoy our cruise; however, this situation will leave a bad taste in our mouths.
Old December 4th, 2002, 02:46 PM
LadyPilot13

I don't think you would have a bad time on either of these lines for Alaska. We went on the Sea Princess to Alaska. The ship was only 6-8 months young and we had a fabulous time.
We are going on our first HAL cruise on December 14th, 2002 on the maiden voyage of the Zuiderdam so I can't give you a comparison between the two cruise lines. I can only tell you our experience from Princess to Alaska. I think the people tend to be a little younger on Princess Alaska than on Holland America. We did observe the Holland America passengers in ports, etc. In summary, it's personal preference.

Have a great cruise...you won't go wrong either way!!!
Old December 4th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Passenger

All new ships need breading in. "Sorry" New ships is where the action is. Ths stories!

Holland America is one of the better cruise lines.LadyPilot13 wrote:

> Go to cruisecritic.com and see the complaints concerning the
> maiden voyage problem of the Zuiderdam on December 14.
> This is our first time on Holland America and probably our
> last if they give their paying customers the treatment that is
> on that board.
> There are WAY too many options in the cruise industry at this
> point than to accept any thing less than excellent customer
> service.
> So yes, we have a big complaint and haven't even gotten to
> our ship yet.
> We will enjoy our cruise; however, this situation will leave
> a bad taste in our mouths.
Old December 7th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Gary Karschnick

I might as well put my 2 cents in. We enjoy HAL . We used to be regulars on NCL, but the conatant PA's trying to sell something or "remind us" of what was in the daily bulletin made them an uncomfortable cruise. We have sailed on Carnival several times and yes on each cruise we have had to "step over the drunken teen-agers in the halways". I know what their alcohol policy is, but I have personally seen them serving liquor to teen agers. We sail with them only because it is convenient for a short cruise, the entertainment is good and the food is good. We are aware of their deficirncies. I would rate HAL far superior to them.
Old December 8th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Passenger

The new fee on the Statendam and Ryndam for the alternative restaurants, they are not that much better than on the Volendam and Zanndam, but they cost you $15 per person to dine at them. HAL is joining the rest of the crusie industry in nickel and diming you, while I still prefer HAL over other lines, the new policy is unwarrented and depreciates a otherwise fine experience. The fee suggest to me that the other restaurants are aboard the ship is inferior, and all the Italian "alternative" restaurants on the remining HAL fleet are inferior.
Old December 8th, 2002, 11:49 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to jon

HAL is the best of all reasonibly priced cruise lines. Have sailed twice on HAL, once on NCL, and once on carnival. I will only sail HAL from now on b/c you cannot compare NCL and Carnival to HAL. All the staff on HAL are superior and always have a smile on their faces.
Old December 11th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Luc Pollsom

The Zuiderdam is a lovely ship. It has been delivered on time and has been at Port Everglades since December 2. You shouldn't have any problems on your cruise. I was priveleged to have the toured the ship at Fincanteri just before it's delivery to Holland America. It is fabulous.
Old December 11th, 2002, 10:21 AM
LadyPilot13

Luc,

Are all the cabins, areas, etc. completely done? On the cruise critic site, someone posted that some of the building people were on board.
Old December 11th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Have sailed Carnival, Princess, Celebrity, Royal Carb. and Holland America, all these more than once. HAL is way ahead of the others, especially Carnival and Royal Carb.

No matter what it is or where it is, there are always a few people who will complain. If you gave a free cruise to 100 people, I'm sure there would be a few who complained about something.
Old December 13th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Count Florida

Frank, if you want a litany of complaints about one HAL ship, take a look at our review of the Prinsendam's innaugral cruises on this site. Click on READER REVIEWS above, then on Holland American, then scroll down and click on the one Prinsendam review.

Admittedly, this is one couple's opinion, and truly may not be typical of Holland American. This was our first (and almost surely, last) cruise on Holland American. Really nice people we met on board told us it was atypical of the line, and I tend to believe them. Holland American knew shortly after we got back home or earlier that they had major problems with Prinsendam, we got four or five calls from HAL staffers, including one man who identified himself as the line's Food and Beverage Director. A number of people have e-mailed us about this review, and we've universally advised to consider this as one factor in a decision to cruise. We have decided to continue, but to avoid HAL and the others in Carnival's stable.

Like I said above, it may not be typical, but the Prinsendam really needs a lot of work. We and the others on board paid a lot of money, almost as much as a similiar Radisson Diamond cruise would have cost us, but the experience couldn't begin to compare. We've done a trans-Atlantic on the Diamond, two years ago, and loved it. Also two other Radisson cruises, two on the QE-2 (including a month-long series of segments on its 2000 World Cruise), and Celebrity. So although we're not as experienced as many of the respondents to your post, we're not neophites, either. And we can say nice things when they are warranted - see our review of the Radisson Navigator's World Cruise segment this last April-May, also posted on this site.

I hope this has been helpful, even if a long while after the question was first posted.
Old December 17th, 2002, 06:34 PM
First Mate

Author:*LadyPilot13*(---.mtlrel01.nj.comcast.net)
Date:***12-04-02 11:03

Go to cruisecritic.com and see the complaints concerning the maiden voyage problem of the Zuiderdam on December 14.
This is our first time on Holland America and probably our last if they give their paying customers the treatment that is on that board.
There are WAY too many options in the cruise industry at this point than to accept any thing less than excellent customer service.
So yes, we have a big complaint and haven't even gotten to our ship yet.
We will enjoy our cruise; however, this situation will leave a bad taste in our mouths.

THIS POST MAKES NO SENSE! Look at the dates - posted Dec. 04 2002 - referring to a Dec. 14 2002 sailing - some people DO appear to make unfounded judgements!!!!!

Old December 20th, 2002, 12:28 PM
BillG

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Complaints about HAL

I think that this type of comment reflects an out of date stereotype of the typical Carnival passenger (if there is such an animal as a typical Carnival passenger. If you really believe that the passengers who sail on Carnival ships are mostly uncouth, drunken louts, you will probably not be thrilled to learn that HAL, in its design of the Zuiderdam, and its stated intention to appeal to more first time cruisers, are apparently targeting the same type of potential passengers who currently sail on Carnival's ships. It shouldn't be necessary to promote one's favorite line by denigrating other lines or the passengers to whom those lines appeal. When you do so you promote a stereotype of HAL passengers as old and snobby or elitist.
Old December 20th, 2002, 05:23 PM
First Mate

Excellent post Bill. Hit the nail right on the head, particularly the last line. I've never taken a HAL cruise so I can't comment on the quality or lack thereof of this traditional giant. But, I love to lurk on the HAL boards. All my cruises have been with Carnival, with an NCL Caribbean cruise and a disastrous Paquet cruise thrown in for color. The main reason I haven't tried HAL, however, is one of plain old DOLLARS. I almost always cruise spur-of-the-moment, single-occupancy, and the Mexican Riviera. I hope to go this January if I can get away. When I cruise the NET this is what I frequently discover, although this may not always be typical:

MEXICAN RIVIERA

Carnival "ELATION" 7day 1/12/03 HAL"Statendam" 10day 1/30/03
$529.00 incl port $2,975.00 incl port
30.26 taxes 98.63 taxes

TOTAL $559.26 TOTAL $3,073.63

$79.89 per day $307.36 per day

In all fairness, I will concede, that CARNIVAL gives the single traveler a much better break than HAL. And the HAL date is later in January when CARNIVAL pricing might be a $100 or so higher. But on the other side of that equation, you'll note the HAL cruise is longer and "generally" the price per day drops as the cruise length increases.

I feel 30 years younger when I cruise and I think a lot of that is because of the younger crowd (I'm 63). The last time I stood in line to board the ELATION, I was directly behind and in front of 2 honeymoon couples; so in love, so hopeful, so idealistic, I'm sure absolutely nothing was going to stand in the way of them enjoying themselves for a week on this BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG boat. I thoroughly enjoyed answering their questions about dress at dinner, bar pricing, and photos, etc. I never saw them again (I wonder why ) until waiting to disembark and they'd already put a deposit down on their anniversary cruise. They were ELATED ! !

The point of all of this is, I didn't and I'm sure they didn't notice that no one escorted them to their cabin, that now and then someone wasn't smiling, or that the food WASN'T gourmet. But what I'm sure they noticed is, that they and almost everyone else had a good time and that they could also AFFORD to do it again sooooooon!
These people and people like them are CARNIVAL's target customer.

So, as long as CARNIVAL keeps spitting out these great prices, I'll cruise with them as often as I can set up my business to take care of itself while I'm gone for a week. :-) I will also keep checking prices to see if I can justify giving HAL a chance (I really need to check out this white glove business...).

Respectfully,

Gary
Old December 20th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Brad Krewson

Gary

I have been on 6 HAL cruises. I have never payed 307.00 per day. The most I have payed per day was 122.00 per person with my wife in a suite for 14 Days cruise.

Are you pricing the same room size and deck level. Please compare apples to apples. My lowest was 72.00 per person on HAL for a (with my wife) 7 day cruise. That room was outside mid ship. HAL is not that far out of line with pricing !!!! I would not pay 300.00 per day either. Im sure their are other people that would agree with me.

Brad