Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 24th, 2002, 08:30 PM
Beginner

Default Alaska shore excursion questions

Hello all, Cruising on July 27th, can't wait...but currently looking to book some excursions with HAL. Would you recommend booking now versus on the cruise? Are they usually filled, if I decide to book on the cruise?

Would anyone recommend taking the White Pass Scenic Railway with the Coach & Gold Rush Trail Camp Adventure excursion? Or just the White Pass Scenic Railway without the Gold Rush Trail etc?

I've never been fishing & think I would enjoy the experience - can anyone recommend any of the fishing excusions for beginners in Juneau or Ketichan?

Also, are there any must do excursions -- something non-flight related, though?

Thanks in advance for getting back to me!

Post Edited (06-24-02 20:30)
Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Tim Agg

Default Re: Alaska shore excursion questions

Skagway - we have taken both the round trip train and the train/coach combination, and have thoroughly enjoyed both. We found the gold-panning stop of mild interest, though many others enjoyed it a great deal. The advantage of doing the rail up and coach back is the additional views offered, plus the chance to look back at the dramatic rail line that you'd been on earlier.

Fishing - haven't done this myself, but have talked with others who had a great time, and once saw a young kid struggling to carry a very large salmon back on board - his smile was as big as the fish.

Other suggestions: The whale watching/wildlife cruise at Juneau is very good; we've taken it 3 times and were always impressed - lots of humpback whales nearby, often orcas, plus many eagles, seals, sea lions. And stunning scenery.
Old July 1st, 2002, 11:53 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to jerzigal
Default Re: Re: Alaska shore excursion questions

Nansee,

We took the combined Mendanhall Glacier/Wildlife Quest and were very pleased with it.

If you're doing Glacier Bay, just make sure you've got an excellent view because it's magnificent!
Old July 1st, 2002, 11:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the Volendam in Sept 2001. We booked shore excursions ahead of time. One of them was cancelled due to bad weather -- a helio trip.
We learned that there are many tour operators as you leave the ship at each port who have tours, so if you do not book ahead of time, there seemed to be tours available. Advantage of not book ahead of time -- the weather. Many of the tours go in bad weather. Our tablemates did not do shore excursions -- instead they picked up maps as they left the ship and headed out for long walks on their own.nansee wrote:

> Hello all, Cruising on July 27th, can't wait...but currently
> looking to book some excursions with HAL. Would you recommend
> booking now versus on the cruise? Are they usually filled, if
> I decide to book on the cruise?
>
> Would anyone recommend taking the White Pass Scenic Railway
> with the Coach & Gold Rush Trail Camp Adventure excursion? Or
> just the White Pass Scenic Railway without the Gold Rush Trail
> etc?
>
> I've never been fishing & think I would enjoy the experience
> - can anyone recommend any of the fishing excusions for
> beginners in Juneau or Ketichan?
>
> Also, are there any must do excursions -- something
> non-flight related, though?
>
> Thanks in advance for getting back to me!
>
> Post Edited (06-24-02 20:30)
Old July 5th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Wotan

Yes, do take the White Pass all the way to Fraser, and then down to Liarsville. The extra couple of miles beyond White Pass on the railroad are incredible. Make sure you sit on the left hand side of the train.

Liarsville is very nice, and you'll get to meet some MacKenzie River Huskies, which are about the sweetest dogs. They do a nice job here, and if you don't eat on board, I think they offer a salmon bake.

In Juneau, the wildlife cruise is great. You'll see better glaciers in Glacier Bay.

Our first cruise to Ketchikan, I flew to the bear watch at the salmon hatchery. Expensive, but spectacular. Ketchikan has the best shopping, so our last couple of times there, we didn't do any excursions. We've seen some people come off the cruise with a lot of fish!

warren & mary ellen