Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2002, 10:48 PM
Default Rosario Strings

We cruised on the Veendam last year and one of the highlights was the rosario strings in the explorer's lounge after dinner. We're planning to cruise on the Zaandam this Dec (02). Does anyone know if we can expect to see them on this ship as well?
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2002, 07:59 AM
First Mate
Default Re: Rosario Strings

There is more than one group of Rosario Strings, so one of the groups could be there.

HAL also employs the Champagne Strings, but I don't think they are as good as the Rosario Strings.
Old June 29th, 2002, 09:00 PM

I think they may be slowly disappearing....no Strings at all on Maasam. It's a pity as so many of us enjoyed them so much. I did hear they were having a hard time finding enough quartets for all the ships.
Old July 1st, 2002, 12:52 PM
Send a message via AIM to jerzigal
Default Re: Re: Rosario Strings

When we sailed on the Volendam this past May, they had a group in the Explorer's Lounge, but for the first time that I can remember, they were NOT called the Rosario Strings.

If I remember, I'll look it up when I get home from work tonight!

~~~~~~~Judi in Hamilton NJ~~~~~~~
Wishing you Blue Skies & Calm Seas!
Old July 17th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Paul H

I also love the Rosario Strings. Sadly, they haven't been on my Holland America cruises in several years. They may still be on one of the ships, but they will be hard to find. I have heard that they charge too much and Holland America is replacing them. On most of my recent cruises, they've been replaced by either the Moonlight or Champagne Strings---groups usually from Hungary. Their techincal ability is fine, but they don't have the expansive and varied repertoire of the Rosario Strings. The Rosarios' medleys of Broadway show music, classical selections, Tagalog songs, and even Orange Blossom Special, were just fabulous. And they played with such enthusiasm. I just don't get that from the Moonlight or Champagne Strings. I may listen to them one evening. The next night they will be playing the same music and I never go back to the Exploerers Lounge. I used to listen to the Rosario Strings every evening.
Old July 17th, 2002, 07:52 PM

In November they were on the Veendam. I heard a rumor the H.A. was dropping them all together. (Cost cutting takes its toll.)
Old July 20th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Default Re: Re: Rosario Strings

I understand that some of the summer Alaska cruises have a harpist or just a piano in the Explorer Lounge. I suspect that is because these cruises have more children and families and they may schedule vacations for the string groups at this time. We are sailing the Rotterdam London to New York in late August and have been advised that there will be a string quartet in the Explorer Lounge for this cruise. We are glad about this because unlike many other HAL ships, the Rotterdam has a dance floor in the Explorer Lounge thus providing an additional dancing alternative to the Ocean Bar and the Crow's Nest.

album, brothers, caribbean, cd, champagne, cruise, duet, hungarian, music, reviews, rosario, royal, ship, ships, string, strings