Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 22nd, 2002, 11:16 AM
Philips

Default Dunn Falls

We will be on the Maasdam for the Dec. 15 sailing. Interested in any information about time and cost of taking private excursion rather than ship sponsored excursion. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2002, 04:07 PM
slotl

Default Re: Dunn Falls

I would be very weary of "indepent" travel in Jamica. If you haven't heard, Jamica is not very safe for tourists. I would pay extra just for the security of being on the ship's tour.

HAL stopped St. Croix for the safety issues. I'm sure Jamica is on the "watch list"
Old September 28th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Brad Krewson

Pay the few extra $$ use the cruise line on Jamica trips. It is now safe outside the walls of the hotels. Other island are ok except Jamica.

Brad

Old October 5th, 2002, 01:46 AM
Randee

Its easier to take ship tour for this stop. No hassles. If you want dunn falls, which is worth it, it really is nice to go with a group. Climbling the falls is a group experience. You'll need to be holding hands going up. Have fun.
Old October 7th, 2002, 12:34 PM
nmNita

Default Re: Re: Dunn Falls

Randee is 100% correct and as stated I wouldn't even wander off the ship in Jamaca unless I was with a group. I hate saying this, but it's true. In fact except for Dunns River I wouldn't wander off the ship period. Dunns River is worth it; what an experience!!!!! Nita
Old October 27th, 2002, 04:42 AM
DMize

Default Re: Re: Re: Dunn Falls

I disagree with the previous postings. I will go on my own 2hours after the shore excursions. Otherwise Dunn's River Falls is a picture postcard of pasty tourists without good footing. Getting a good guide (a must) is a crap shoot I admit. There are good hearted Jamaican fellows who wish to do a good service for a fee. I'll take my chances with them. Use your best insticts and refuse service if it feels oppresive. There are fifteen more guides available that may suite your taste. I trust them with my camera and I don't use the lockers at the beach.
Old October 29th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Thulewx

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Dunn Falls

I wouldn't set foot in Dunns Falls - there have been numerous reports, over the years, of lots of nasty stuff floating down that river (including human fecal matter). The river is essentially an open-air sewer system for the squatter camps upstream, up into the mountains. Go - it's pretty - but I stayed on the walkway/stairs.
Another unpleasant aspect is the INCREDIBLY pushy vendors at the top of the falls, almost impossible to avoid. Just my opinion...
Old December 15th, 2002, 03:59 PM
First Mate

I quite agree with Nita, Brad, Slotl and, particularly, THulewx.

Jamaica is the only country in which I have ever felt uneasy and fearful for my family. We watched are fellow "unknowing" passengers
slip and slide up the natural, above ground sewer system that is known as the Dunn's River Falls. Cops and militia everywhere with automatic weapons and, interestingly enough, an American handgun called the C.O.D. (Cops Off Duty) that carries four 410 shotgun shells in it. Incredibly deadly!

The hawkers at the top of the falls were constantly trying to put delicate souvenirs into the hands of my 9 year old son and once they heard us utter his name they all chimed in attempting to cajole him into taking one of these worthless, overpriced trinkets.

On the way back to the ship, I made the "mistake" of taking a picture, from across the street mind you, of a huge Aunt Jemima-type lady with a long beautiful flowered dress and a huge stack of fruit on her head (ala Carmen Miranda). She ran across the street and preceeded to chastise my wife and I for having taken her picture without her permission. Of course, for the usual $5 she would be willing to forget the infraction! We made our escape into a jewelry store where we looked at zillions of what I thought were probably stolen or counterfeited Rolex watches.

I don't think I've ever felt so good about boarding a cruise ship after a day in port, but the SEAWARD was a sight for sore eyes after that experience. Not wishing to spoil anyone's cruise to this beautiful country I must say that this is only ONE cruiser's experience.

My son,(now 23) to this day, brings up that time "when we were in Jamaica and everybody KNEW his name".......Little did he know how very uneasy and concerned his Father was at the time.

Gary
Old December 16th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Beginner

I went with my sister & mother in Montego Bay, Jamaica Dec 3 on the Veendam. We thoroughly enjoed the ATV (4 wheel) excursion. The 2 lead drivers were very nice and the scenes from the hills very beautiful when we periodically stopped. There was a shuttle van that took us from the pier to the site. On the way back, it stopped at a shop with liquor and t-shirts for sale. No one bothered us during this excursion. We're in our 40's and my mother in her upper 60's. She was a little nervous about the speed and hills we climbed but did fine. You might get a little muddy if there's puddles on the path!