Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 24th, 2002, 09:15 AM
First Mate

Default Your vote for HAL Seattle or Vancouver roundtrip

We will not be able to do a one-way Alaskan cruise next early August and would like to know if you have cruised the HAL Seattle and/or Vancouver roundtrip itineraries. What's your vote?

Seattle Roundtrip: Juneau , Hubbard Glacier, Sitka, Ketchikan, Victoria,B.C. (4hours) Ship: Amsterdam

Vancouver Roundtrip : Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan
Ship: Volendam or Zaandam

***I have read that the seas are generally rougher on the Seattle trip - is that true or just coincidence?

***What are the major differences between Hubbard and Glacier Bay? Taller, Wider, Color, More calving?

Thank you so much for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2002, 08:31 PM
GM

Default Re: Your vote for HAL Seattle or Vancouver roundtrip

Anne,

As one who has sailed on both schedules-Vancouver and Seattle [I went on Amsterdam this year] I would have to say that while both are very good- the Vancouver one is superior.

Let me explain- Vancouver to Ketchikan takes normally 36 hours and cruises through some of the finest parts-Seymour Narrows and all the inland passages up to Se-Alaska.

I missed that this year because the Amsterdam in having to reach Juneau in 36hours
sailed around Vancouver Island and utilized the open sea to reach Juneau quickly.

Offset against this was that the Amsterdam sailed further to Hubbard Glacier which traditionally cruises of 7 days R/T dont make. Hubbard Glacier is a long way north for these 7 day R/t and thats why the Amsterdam does not take the passage between Vancouver and Vancouver Island.

We chose this new route because we wanted to go to Sitka again and were quite eager to take Seattle R./T

Differences between Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier are minimal but if pressed I would choose Glacier.They are both magnificient as is College Fjord [much more Northern] We have an affinity with Glacier Bay only because we saw it before ever going to Hubbard.

Hope this helps.....

GM
Old September 25th, 2002, 08:28 AM
David Starkey

Default Re: Re: Your vote for HAL Seattle or Vancouver roundtrip

I have sailed the Alaska route 5 times in the last six years and think you would enjoy either route. I currently have several cruises booked to Alaska next year. I am booked on the Amsterdam(r/t Seattle)Pacific Princess(r/t San Francisco)Mercury(r/t) Vancouver and the Dawn Princess(seward to Vancouver). I am boared to death on buses so I do not like the commute from seattle to vancouver.(we allways fly into seattle due to limited flts into vancouver from the east coast) That is one of the main reason's we are considering the Amsterdam. To me, the Ship is more important than the iten she sails.
I think the best value is r/t Seattle(unless you live in Vancouver)..A couple of years ago we sailed the Legend of the Sea's and she did a different iten that took her out side of the usual inside passenge and we enjoyed that iten more than the regular inside passage.(we like sea days and you get more movement (rocking)when out of the inside passage). Our favorite ship sailing to Alaska is the Mercury and she has some excellent rates(r/t) Vancouver....
Maybe we'll see you on one of our voyages to AK. You should consider taking the Mercury, it has an excelllent iten and is a very good ship at very fair price...Enjoy your cruise.
Old September 25th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Your vote for HAL Seattle or Vancouver roundtrip

To David Starkey:

We agree with you about the buses and we live in Southwest Washington. We have taken the Amtrak Train/Bus ride from Vancouver, Washington and were unhappy with that part of the journey.

You can now rent a car from Avis anywhere in Washington State and drop it off in Vancouver B.C., on Robson Street very close to the cruise ship terminal at Canada Place. A large full-sized car (i.e. Buick Lesabre) is about $90 including drop-off charges.
That rate would probably be similar at Seatac airport.

We have done RT Vancouver and loved it. We will be doing the other itinerary on the Amsterdam next summer unless we change our minds and take the Pacific Princess on a similar itinerary out of S.F.O. (This cruise is a few days longer,however, due to the distance) The Pacific Princess is one of the Renaissance smaller ships that are now in the Princess fleet.
Old October 1st, 2002, 03:08 PM
Yeoman

we live in portland and could have driven to seattle and parked our car but because we felt that glacier bay was superior over hubbard we chose to fly to vanc and sail out of there

Old October 14th, 2002, 09:42 PM
Cinder

I, too, would choose Vancouver if you only plan to sail to AK once. I have done all three trips, and there is little difference between the R/T Vancouver, versus Vancouver to Seward, but a lot of difference between Vancouver R/T and Seattle R/T.
We have sailed Hal all three times, Statendam, Volendam and most recently the Amsterdam from Seattle. We loved both Vancouver and Seattle as pre-cruise hotel stays, but I give the Vancouver trip a slight edge for the same reason GM did. It's more scenic, more of the time, and should you encounter rough seas, you are definitely more apt to feel them on the outside Seattle trip.